Author Topic: Help finding a copy of my parents marriage certificate  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Adiroit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding a copy of my parents marriage certificate
« on: Sunday 07 June 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Some of you might have saw this post I made about applying for my first British passport. It's a complicated (yet interesting, I've been told) story if you feel bored.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=721642.0

If not, I will get to my issue at hand!

A lovely woman named Sally was able to locate, order at the registry in Edinburgh, and mail me a copy of my mom's birth certificate. It's currently en-route, and I can't be any more thankful than I currently am :) .

I believe that the last piece of the puzzle I will need, is a copy of my parents marriage certificate. For those who haven't read the other post I linked, my parents passed away when I was 5, and I was taken in by another family. Therefore I have very little (well, I'm slowly gaining more and more!) information pertaining to the two of them.

I would have assumed they married in England or Scotland, but could find NO record of such.. which as very confusing. On my birth certificate it states my mom and dad's full names (with the same last name, my current last name of course), as well as stating my mother's maiden name. Clearly right there is evidence that they were married, but I imagine the UK passport office has strict guidelines and requires the actual marriage certificate.

I had mentioned it randomly to my grandmom (on my half-sisters dads side.. no actual relation to me) and she had said that she's almost certain they were married in the US. She could not recall any more details other than that statement.. but she seems certain.

Great! Clearly there is a perfect explanation of why I couldn't find a record of it in the UK. However I'm at a standstill at trying to figure out where they got married, or how to search for the record. I don't really even have a guess to what STATE! lol. I mean I moved from England to North Carolina with them when I was just 2 years of age, but I don't know if that means they had a previous connection to NC and/or got married there.

My half sister (same mom, different dad.. I was taken in by her dads side of the family) was born in California in 1985. I don't know if that could have played a part in it.

Any help or direction on where to start would be very helpful!

-Paul !

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a copy of my parents marriage certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
Sending PM
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a copy of my parents marriage certificate
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 15 01:46 BST (UK) »
sorry, this was supposed to be a PM