Author Topic: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)  (Read 33434 times)

Offline viddavid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)
« on: Sunday 07 June 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thought this might amuse you. ;D I had a public tree that I made private years ago. I was just looking through some old photographs of my great grandfather when I noticed they had been added to over twenty trees on Ancestry. All unrelated. On one tree he is depicted as William Wilson born 1620....over two hundred years before photography. Unless they meant born twenty past four.... ::)

Moderator Comment: Topic continues from: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied
ROBINS Richmond Birmingham Stafford UK Chicago Ill.USA.
TURNER London UK
GREENHALF London UK
McGIVERN Armagh, Castleblaney & Leitrim, Ireland
McHUGH Leitrim Ireland
TIMMIS Richmond Surrey Stafford
WILSON Letterkenny Ireland,Ayr Scotland
DNA R-FGC51610  K1a10a

Offline Dave Dee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Ha ha! It would make you a bit ancient, too, wouldn't it? :o Seriously, though, the rubbish that some people post on their trees makes you wonder about the human condition, doesn't it? I mean, we all make mistakes, but.......?????

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
Not only on Ancestry does this occur, I had my complete tree copied word for word from the Genes site, the thing is I had made a big error and it was only when I corrected it I noticed the copying. Not only did he put it on his tree he also put it online under the family name as his work, his still has the error - shame.

Offline viddavid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thought this might amuse you. ;D I had a public tree that I made private years ago. I was just looking through some old photographs of my great grandfather when I noticed they had been added to over twenty trees on Ancestry. All unrelated. On one tree he is depicted as William Wilson born 1620....over two hundred years before photography. Unless they meant born twenty past four.... ::)

Just found another one dated 1575-1615 :o
ROBINS Richmond Birmingham Stafford UK Chicago Ill.USA.
TURNER London UK
GREENHALF London UK
McGIVERN Armagh, Castleblaney & Leitrim, Ireland
McHUGH Leitrim Ireland
TIMMIS Richmond Surrey Stafford
WILSON Letterkenny Ireland,Ayr Scotland
DNA R-FGC51610  K1a10a

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 June 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Not only on Ancestry does this occur, I had my complete tree copied word for word from the Genes site, the thing is I had made a big error and it was only when I corrected it I noticed the copying. Not only did he put it on his tree he also put it online under the family name as his work, his still has the error - shame.
Ok ok I'll get round to fixing it.  ;D

I must admit, like most, that when I found this wonderful thing called the internet , I figured I could let other people do my work for me. Then I started to think about what I was actually putting down. I had some time away from the net and also some free time to peruse the records of my dads cousin who had done some marvellous work over 25 years.

Being kind of particular I checked everything I did , using his info as a road map. I found , mostly , his info was good and solid apart from 1 or 2 items. But that was ok because it meant I wasn't being lazy.

Coming back to the net I found Ancestry , I found Genes and I found other pages dedicated to family name gathering and I was in heaven. Once again someone had done all the work for me. Except this time I was battle hardened and understanding more that the info should not be treated as gospel but as a road map or guide to a direction I should explore.

It was when I found Rootschat that I was lucky enough to break a wall that had even defeated my dads cousin and let me go back a little further. I was contacted by someone who had wills and information that conclusively tied everything up. The only thing I was asked was to not place the information in a public forum. I have , and will , respected that wish.

I also say thank you

So I can understand that having a philosophy of sharing can help someone crash through walls...and it is something I have tried to maintain. But. My tree on Ancestry is currently on private , and will be until 2017 , as I have a project that I am doing that is close to my heart.

After 2017 when it is ready then I will change my tree to public. I guess its also about presenting something that is as complete as it can be, with all the bells and whistles etc.

I have not had anyone contact me for information but I will welcome it and as a previous post alluded I will give direction to where I found it. If they truly want it they will find it  :)

I also think I promised myself I wouldn't respond to anymore of these threads ( maybe I can slip in the caveat that it was created before I made my vow)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 June 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
"After 2017 when it is ready then I will change my tree to public. I guess its also about presenting something that is as complete as it can be, with all the bells and whistles etc."

Then, in July 2017, once my family tree is openly published, one hundred plus persons will take my information and add a multitude of data based on spurious information to it, thus rendering my original work worthless to a substantial degree. They, then having done that, will then present that work to the public, and others will follow the same route, adding more spurious data to that, ad infinitum. By 2020 I will be directly related to 93.48% of the world's population, and everyone will be happy, well maybe not everyone!!

Regards

Malky

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 June 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
I have my tree on public, I like to share my info, and I dont mind if someone actually does copy one of my photos, my 2xgreat uncle's gravestone I uploaded as his photo on his entry in my tree and someone else borrowed it. I dont mind that as they are probably related and have used my tree for inspiration. If I have my tree on Private I feel I am not sharing info.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 June 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
I have a public tree and have just been going through it.  Someone has copied a birth record for my 3x gt uncle and despite the record giving parents as John and Jane,  has been attached to parents William and Rose. Rose, however, was a 'supermum' giving birth to him at 82!  :o
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 June 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
I dont mind that as they are probably related and have used my tree for inspiration. If I have my tree on Private I feel I am not sharing info.

Have you contacted them to find out if your assumption is correct though?   If you have your tree as private you can still share your information with others, they just need to contact you to say how they are connected.