Author Topic: Edgar family  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edgar family
« on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

Recently I found out that my Great Grandmother, Margaret Edgar, who married my Great Grandfather in 1886, in Bessbrook, Ireland could well have been born in Scotland.
Her father was Hamilton Edgar (who worked in the weaving industry) certainly worked in the local mill in Bessbrook. His father was Hugh Edgar ( Hilltown, Dundee).
Hamilton was married twice: 1st wife Ann Jane Geddis who I think was Margaret's mother. 2nd wife was Joan Donaldson and I believe the marriage took place in Dundee.
So! Was Margaret born in Scotland or Ireland ( circa 1860s)? Was Hamilton born in Dundee?
There are no  Irish records of where either of them lived prior to her marriage and indeed I am finding it difficult to pinpoint him.
Any help would be great.
MK

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
Did your Margaret marry Michael Alfred King ? if so is this them at John Dillon Street Merchants Quay Dublin ..Margaret's birth year 1863 Wexford Ireland.. there is 1match for a marriage for a Hamilton Edgar spouse surname Donaldson in Angus 1895 on scotlands people but you would need to check out if this is the same person

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie 17
Thanks for this information.
Yes she did marry Michael Alfred King in January 1886 and to put a spanner in the works their first child was born,and died, in Nov 1886 in Newcastle -upon-Tyne. I next pick the family up a few years later in Belfast where they remained until they died. John Dilton Street,Dublin?? Now that's news. What date was this as I've never heard about this possible connection?

Regards
MK

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 census Ireland down as Maggie King John Dillon Street born Wexford 1862

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi MK

Confused by this 1891 census entry:

Hamilton Edgar 51 Warehouseman b Ireland
Annie Edgar 38 wife b. Ireland
Maggie Edgar 15 daughter Sack Machinist b. Ireland
Mary Kelly 49 visitor b. Ireland

Address: 4 St Roques Lane, Dundee

Have you viewed Margaret's 1886's marriage in Bessbrook to confirm father as Hamilton rather than Hugh, from the names you have?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Rosie 17 & MonicaL

First I'll answer Rosie17's posting. It looks like it's not the same Margaret as I have a 1901 census for Belfast and she is clearly listed on it with children of her own.

MonicaL's posting. I'll look at  the info you've sent me and try tying it in with what I've got. Her father is listed on the certificate as Hamilton Edgar ( alas it does not state whether dead or alive). The witnesses were a Maggie Edgar ( almost certainly a sister but in last throws of confirming) and James Edgar ( details unknown).

Rgards

MK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
Witness on the 1886 Minnie rather than Margaret, given you have Margaret wife of Michael Alfred King? Looking at some online details on an a/try tree where they mention witnesses names as a Minnie and a James, both Edgar.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Is this Margaret and family in 1911?

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Queen_Victoria_Street/229142/

This matches I think this 1901 entry here I think:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ormeau_Ward/Ballymaconaghy__part_of_/1219848/

Looks like it may not be correct given you mention 1901 and Margaret alone with children in Belfast.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
I next pick the family up a few years later in Belfast where they remained until they died. John Dilton Street,Dublin??

Dublin and Belfast...we are in different places aren't we...

The 1901 census that Rosie mentioned earlier was this one (you also mention the specific address but this is in Dublin not Belfast) www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Merchants_Quay/John_Dillon_Street/1304474/

MK, only you can provide the further clues as to which is the right family group for your family line  ::)

Monica  :)