Author Topic: Edgar family  (Read 8872 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 June 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
MK, going to wait now until you post back.... :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
Think you are right Monica about the Maggie being the daughter of Ann Jane
On the 1901 census there is a Maggie McDonald b 1877 Ireland wife ( no husband in the house )age 24 occupation sack machinist ( same as the Maggie Edgar in 1891 ) living at 28,Penny Cook Lane Dundee
On S P there is a Maggie McLelland marrying a Donald Ferguson Macdonald 1898 St Andrews Dundee...Then another entry Maggie White same spouse same gross number 282/04/0150  ???

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 June 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonicaL & rosie17 for all the info which I'm trying to get my head round at the moment. I fear In an attempt to keep things short and to the point  I may have given you both a lot of work. Sorry about that!!
Any way I'll tell you what I know so far (confirmed & unconfirmed). Margaret Edgar ( my great grandmother) married Michael Alfred King (my grandfather) in Bessbrook and they've given their address,at time of marriage - Bessbrook, that's it-no street or house number. From this certificate I've worked out she was born circa 1863. They both lived and raised a family in Belfast from around 1889 and she died in Belfast on 04/04/1937.
Recent information has me now confirming that the  Minnie on the wedding certificate is Margaret's sister who was born in 1872 (place unknown) married Alexander Campbell Donaldson in 1894, lived in Hilltown Dundee,emigrated to Canada in 1916 and died in 1947. The James on the cert has not been traced.
This same source has confirmed that their father, Hamilton, (unconfirmed birth date as 1839) was married to Ann Jane Geddis and they confirm that she was the mother of Minnie then it is safe to assume she is the mother of Margaret. Hamilton married Joan Donaldson in 1895 (related to Minnie's husband (exact relationship not confirmed).

I also received a posting on another site from an ancestor of an Edgar family from Ireland and after correspondence it has been agreed that they are not the same family.

So! for the moment I'll digest all the info you have given me and hopefully in a few days time I will post you an update.

regards

MK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 June 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
MK

Can I suggest that you stay open minded on the surname of Hamilton Edgar's first wife, the first Ann Jane... Sometimes happens that info on certificates is wrong, surnames etc. A pain when that happens, but it can and did happen  :-\ You need to look at all the supporting info. Getting this right will help you confirm the details back to Ireland really.

From the little I have seen so far, big possibility that Hamilton's first wife was indeed Ann Jane Rowan. His death in 1899 that Rosie found earlier states that his first wife was Ann Jane Rowan. I added an image clip with these details earlier. This is from his death registration.

There is supporting info that may help with this such as:

• A likely marriage for Hamilton to Ann Jane Rowan - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGCD-ZJR - this could be followed up further?
  • On the death cert for Hamilton in 1899, the second wife's name is correct (Ann Jane Leggat/Malloy who dies after the census in 1891) as is the third wife's name.

Hamilton, from this 1899 death, we have been able to link to Minnie in a number of ways:

• Father's name correct and mother's too, apart from the only time that Geddes is used in Minnie's marriage end of 1894 for her mother's surname.
  • Matching address for Minnie and Hamilton at that period of the mid 1890s.
  • Likely from what we have that Minnie married her step mother's son, Alexander. Her marriage entry on 1894 certainly confirms this from what I have seen

There are some older posts here on RC on family. I will link them here (not sure if these are yours from old) but will help with further background and any new searches now  :):

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=513254.0 - Rosie, this has some details on the Maggie daughter who showed in the 1891 census with Hamilton and second wife Ann Jane

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=513254.0

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=511713.0 - from earlier

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 June 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
Can you post the census links you have for Maggie in Belfast in 1901 and 1911 please?

Monica  :)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm close to cracking the mystery. Hamilton Edgar Married Ann(e) Jane Rowan and her mother was Ann Jane Geddes. And it's to her that many of the known children are born. at some stage she must die ( date and place unknown).
Hamilton Edgar then marries Ann Jane Malloy  (nee Legate) in 1886 @ Newry, Co Down. We have no record of children and we assume she also died.
Hamilton then marries Joan Donaldson (nee Campbell) in 1895. and she has a son from previous marriage (Alexander Campbell Donaldson) who marries Minnie Edgar. Daughter of Hamilton.
On three separate documents Hamilton's age ranges from 1839- 1844 so I'm hoping they are the same man.
One loose end in this search is the fact that we assumed that Hamilton was born in Scotland to Hugh and Margaret yet a search of Scotland's people  provides no results.

Regards

MK

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 December 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All. A couple of years ago I did some posting for the Edgar family (my Great Grandmother's family) and to be honest I'm now just getting back into it. I've put together all the info you all provided and I'm now a bit closer to sorting it out. It would appear that Hamilton Edgar was born in Rathfriland, Co Down and whilst Great Grandmother was married in Bessbrook it would appear that this was the local church for them whilst they worked at the mill and her marriage is the only event recorded there.
I'm not sure if this question is allowed so here goes. On visiting a website entry for Edgar family I came across an entry for a message board belonging to a well known on-line research provided of which I'm not a member. However 2 entries intrigued me as they threw some light on my research. These entries were posted 17/03/2007 & 06/05/2007 with user names .......2006 & .....153 I'd be surprised if they don't use this site and would like them to make contact to verify their connections

Regards

MK

Offline Reader1bc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m Minnie Edgar’s great granddaughter. Margaret is definitely Minnie’s sister. Hamilton Edgar definitely married Alexander Donaldson’s mom Joan inches campbell and on their marriage certificate Hamilton’s parents are listed as Hugh and Margaret Edgar nee Craig. I’m dying to find out who James is on Margaret’s wedding certificate. Minnie had 10 live births I have found 9 of them only 5 survived into adulthood. The kids who passed are Joan, Minnie, Minnie (yes two in a row both died as babies) and Helen Gillies. I am trying to find the 10th child. On Minnie’s marriage certificate her mom is listed as Ann Jane Geddes. On Margaret’s is her mom listed? Hope to hear from you.

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
As is always the case, confusion rules. I shall try and answer starting from the bottom up. No! Margaret's mother is not listed on wed cert. Ann Jane Geddis as her mother. This is an error either made by her or the person filling in the document and here is the reason why- Her Mother was Ann Jane Rowan and her mother was Ann Jane Rowan (nee Geddes) On your list of deceased children I have 1 more. Nellie DOD unknown and Hanna Mary DOD unknown. One of these 2 must be your Helen Gillies. Regarding James Edgar. Mystery still surrounds this man but I think I closer to finding him. I have found a James Edgar marrying a Susanna McMullan 30/03/1855 at Drumballyroney ( the same area as Hamliton Edgar was born) so this could be his brother. The research continues.

Regards MK