Author Topic: Newlove, Outhwaite and Aveson Problem.  (Read 2964 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newlove, Outhwaite and Aveson Problem.
« on: Tuesday 09 June 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters of ERY

I have a problem that has me going round in circles. Bear with me. I will give you as much detail as I can so you will know which Avenues I have been down and which garden paths I have been up.

On the 1851 census Francis Newlove, aged 29 and single, is a Farmer at Allerston. In his household is Ann Outhwaite aged 60 (b.1791).  Ann is described as the widowed Aunt of Francis and she is his housekeeper. Her place of birth is East Heslerton.

Francis Newlove was the son of Mark Newlove a Farmer of East Heslerton. Mark's parents were John and Amy Newlove (Amy’s maiden name was also Newlove) and they had five daughters and one son. Mark’s youngest sister Ann was baptized at West Heslerton on July 26 1795. So Ann Outhwaite was formerly Ann Newlove albeit having overstated her age a bit.

Also at the farm in 1851 is a visitor called Ann Outhwaite who is 27 (b.1824) and is described as Francis’ cousin. She was born at Staxton in the Parish of Willerby.

For sometime I have been looking for Ann the Aunt’s marriage to an Outhwaite Owthwaite Outhet etc. I found a marriage on Family Search between John Outhet 24yrs and Ann Hodgson 22yrs on 24 May 1816 at Scarborough.

This seemed to fit well with a daughter born in 1824 at Staxton. It appeared that Ann Newlove had first married a Hodgson and then John Outhet but I could not find a marriage of Ann Newlove to a Hodgson.

This was my working theory until FindMyPast released their Yorkshire Records. Looking at the original parish records to confirm my theory I discovered the following.

1. Ann Hodgson was a spinster when she married John Outhet at Scarborough in 1822. So she was never a Newlove.

2. There is no record of an Ann Outhwaite born about 1824 in the Willerby Parish records and I have not found a suitable baptism for her so far.

I found a John Outhwaite in Farnham WRY in 1841 with a wife called Ann. But further investigations found his wife was Ann Howard and they appear as John and Hannah at Farnham in 1851.

I then found that there are some trees on Ancestry that state Ann Newlove the daughter of John and Amy is the Ann Newlove who married  Samuel Aveson (Avison) at Burythorpe on Feb 9 1813.

I was aware of this marriage as I am interested in all pre-20th Century Newloves but I had not considered Ann the daughter of John and Amy as a candidate. The witnesses do not provide any clues, but if the bride was Ann the daughter of John and Amy she would have been about 17 and a half years old. However on the Marriage record no consent is recorded.

On the other hand, the Bishop’s Transcript of the marriage states they were married “with Consent of Friends” which seems a bit odd as Ann’s mother Amy was still living in 1813. I’m not sure under what circumstances Consent of Friends would apply.
It may be an error as the only other marriage at Burythorpe in 1813 was also with Consent of Friends and the Clerk/Vicar may have copied the same wording in error.

None of the trees on Ancestry that have the Aveson Newlove marriage provide any compelling evidence that the Ann who married Samuel Aveson was the daughter of John and Amy. The couple did call one of their children Amy however so that may be the reason for choosing Ann Newlove daughter of John and Amy.

I have not been able to find the death of Ann Aveson/Avison or a marriage to an Outhwaite.  I have only found three children Jane, Amy and Thomas. The last was born in 1817, which could mean she died after a few years of marriage. Samuel Aveson died in 1837.

Regarding Ann’s mother Amy Newlove, after John’s death in 1800 she married James Sawdon of Willerby and moved to that Parish and had four more children. She died there in 1841.

Another link with Willerby is that John and Amy’s eldest daughter, Jane Newlove, born at East Heslerton in 1786 did marry an Outhwaite – William in 1808 at Thorpe Basset.

William Outhwaite was a Butcher. Their son John Newlove Outhwaite was baptized at Wintringham, daughters Ann and Amy were baptized at Willerby in 1811 and 1814. There are no more Outhwaite or variant baptisms at Willerby after 1814. The family moved to York and another daughter, Mary Jane, was born in 1821.

The Ann Outhwaite who was Francis Newlove’s Aunt and housekeeper can only have been born a Newlove. I have checked Francis’ mother’s family. Her name was Hannah Barry and she did have a sister called Ann. Ann Barry married Job Allison of Normanby and died there in 1889. Her husband died in 1884.

Did Ann Newlove marry an Outhwaite? If so who and when? When did he die?
When did she die?

Who is the Ann Newlove who married Samuel Aveson?  When did she die?  If she outlived Samuel (died 1837) did she remarry an Outhwaite? I have contacted one of the tree owners but not received a reply so far. All the trees have the same information and I suspect have copied each other.

Who is the other Ann Outhwaite, the visiting cousin?  An assumption that the two Anns are mother and daughter is made but where is her baptism? Could she actually be the daughter of Jane and William? She would have lopped 13 years off her age if she were as she should have been 40 in 1851.

Can anyone help solve these questions? Information/suggestions gratefully received.

Venelow
Canada

Offline Hields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newlove, Outhwaite and Aveson Problem.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have only recently come across your post . If you are still researching I have some information that may be helpful.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Hields

Thank you for responding. Yes I am still researching Newloves although of late I have also been working on personal lines. I would be interested in any information you have to offer.

Sincerely
Venelow
Canada

Offline Hields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Venelow
Apologies for the delay in replying. I don’t know if this will be useful or not. I have a documented connection between a ‘Hodgson’ and  ‘Anne Newlove ‘as follows.
My starting point is Samuel Avison and Anne Newlove married 9th Feb 1813 Burythorpe.
They indeed had three children:
Jane b. 15th Aug 1813, (Married Robert Bower 10th March 1838)
Amey b.22nd Jan 1816 – (Married John Lonsdale 24th Nov 1838).
Thomas b. 3rd Sep 1817 (Married Ann Fawcet 24 th Dec 1844)

(All children born in Burythorpe)

Amey married John Lonsdale 24th Nov 1838 in York. Now John Lonsdale had a brother George Lonsdale who married a Harriet Hodgson 5th Dec 1852. Parish of Stockton, York. Harriet was aged 19. The witnesses were Thomas Newsom (son of Samuel Avison/Aveson first marriage to Anne Newsom) and Hannah Hick?  Note: Samual Avison’s first wife Anne Newsom died leaving a son Thomas.

The father of Harriet is given as John Hodgson, labourer of Stokton. I wonder did Anne Hodgson have a sister Harriet? One further point, there is a very strong naming convention from grandparents/family to children. Amey Averson and John's  children were Anne , Samuel, Francis and Jane,

I would be interested to know more about Ann Newlove if it is the same person.

Best regards.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 14:45 BST (UK) »

The witnesses were Thomas Newsom (son of Samuel Avison/Aveson first marriage to Anne Newsom) and Hannah Hick?  Note: Samual Avison’s first wife Anne Newsom died leaving a son Thomas.

Hello Again Hields

I have been going over my notes and I do have the John Lonsdale marriage in my database. However I don't have any information on the marriage of Samuel Avison to Anne Newsom as stated above. Or the birth of Thomas Newsom.

Do you have any dates and places for those events?  I had considered a possible death of Samuel's widow Ann to be Ann Avison Sept Q 1849 York District. However since I last looked at this the new GRO Index with age at death states this Ann was 49 years old. i.e. born about 1775.

I can't find an Ann Newlove who would fit that age or even close to it.  This Ann could just about be young enough to have the last of Samuel's three children Thomas in 1817, but she would also be about ten years older that Samuel if she was the Ann that he wed. Also she could not be the daughter of John and Amy Newlove as she was born in 1795.

Also the Samuel Avison marriage to Ann Newlove in 1813 states the parties were bachelor and spinster.  So there must be an earlier marriage of another Samuel to Ann Newsome.

Still working on this but the Soccer is on soon soon so will resume later.

Cheers,
Venelow
Canada

Offline Hields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 18:44 BST (UK) »

Hello again

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have an apology to make; I should have looked at my notes. Sorry for the confusion.

The marriage of George Lonsdale and Harriett Hodgson was witnessed by Thomas Newsom and Hannah Hick. I have a copy of the marriage.

The comment should read. (Thomas Newsom was the son of Thomas Newsom and Elizabeth Newsom). Elizabeth Newsom married Francis Lonsdale in 1849 in York after her husband Thomas died.  Francis was the father of John & George Lonsdale. Both were widowers.

I have a copy of death for Samuel Avison in 1837 in Bradford aged 49.

I believe that Samuel and Anne Newlove also had a daughter Elizabeth born 31 May 1820, in Burythorpe Yorkshire.

Unfortunately I have no further information on Samuel Aveson/Avison and Anne Newlove. However I do have further information regarding their children.

Please let me know if any of this is helpful.

Kind regards

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Hields

Thank you for your correction. Not sure if it helps my Avison / Newlove line.

I did find the identity of Thomas Newsome but thought it best to check in case you had other information. The 1851 census record for Francis Lonsdale and his family at Huntington Yorks has led a lot of folks astray (Ancestry trees). I'm giving the details I found here in case any one else is doing that line.

It is stated in 1851 that Thomas Newsome is Francis' son. But if the Bossall PRs are checked Thomas was baptized in 1828 to Thomas and Elizabeth Newsom. They were married on 27 Dec 1814 at Foston in the North Riding of Yorkshire. So Thomas is the step-son of Francis, and the son of his second wife by her first marriage.

Francis' first marriage was to Elizabeth Newsholm at Seaton Ross, Yorks in 1816. She died at Huntington in 1840. In 1849 he married Elizabeth the widow of Thomas Newsom at St Cuthbert's City of York but the record does not give her father's name. (Although it does state she is a widow.)

When she married Thomas Newsome she was Elizabeth Etty. She was born at Thornton Le Clay (Parish of Foston) just as is stated on the 1851 census. Baptized in 1793 on 14th April, her parents were Thomas and Hannah Etty of Thornton.

Next line on inquiry for Lonsdale researchers would be to find out if Francis' first wife Elizabeth Newsholme is connected to his second wife's first husband, Thomas Newsom since when he died in 1845 his name is recorded as Newsham.

I am still looking at Samuel Avison / Aveson. He appears to have died at Horton, Bradford in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Buried in Bradford Cathedral on 26 Mar 1837 aged 49 years. This tallies with his baptism at Burythorpe in 1788 but why is he living in Bradford (about 60 miles from Burythorpe) and what happened to his wife Ann? On his children's baptism records his occupation is Labourer.

The Harriet Hodgson connection is for another day.

Cheers
Venelow

Offline Hields

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Good evening Venelow.
Again, thank you for the reply.
My line comes from Francis Lonsdale and first wife Elizabeth Newsholme, consequently I had not paid too much attention to Francis’s second marriage. I agree this area has caused a lot of confusion especially the place name ‘Huntingdon’. Also the dilemma of Aveson and Avison.
Occupations are helpful in identifying possible relationships. Francis Lonsdale (father of John) was a tailor and well recorded, Elizabeth Newsholme a dressmaker. Amey Aveson/Avison married Thomas Bryce Borland after first husband John Lonsdale died. Thomas Borland was also a tailor. So quite likely they were acquainted being in the same trade. They lived in Leeds and then moved to Scotland.
Regarding Bradford. Thomas Aveson son of Samuel and Anne Newlove married in Bradford 24th Dec 1844. The occupation of father Samuel Aveson is recorded as ‘labour’.  Thomas was 25, Ann Fawcett 22, Witnesses, Adam May and John Millar. Thomas’s and Ann’s occupation Comber:Reler.
At least one child was born in Bradford. Robert b.Aug 22 1847. Bradford. Later they had a son, named Albert Newlove Aveson.
Thomas Aveson and wife immigrated to America. His grave records b.3rd Sep 1817, d. Nov 16 1896, Salt Lake City. This date tallies with the Burythorpe birth date.
Samuel and Ann’s daughter Amey Aveson’s marriage states father Samuel’s occupations as ‘Farmer’. 
Samuel and Ann’s daughter Jane’s, marriage records Samuel’s occupation as ‘labourer’ again.
Unfortunately I don’t have any further information on Samuel and Ann other than the birth dates of their children or a convincing date for the death of Ann Newlove married to Samuel Aveson (labour, farmer, labour), whoever she may be.
There is clearly more to the Bradford connection to investigate and what happened to Ann to rule her in or out of the question. I would be interested to know.
Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Regards
Hields

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 July 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Hields

Thank you for the information about Samuel's son Thomas also being in Bradford. That makes sense of Samuel's death. I wonder if he moved there to work in the mills like his son. If only he could have died a few months later and be registered in the civil system we might know if he was still married at the time of his death.

I shall have to dig deeper into the Bradford connection. I'll let you know if I find anything. I'm assuming you have Samuel's parents. Francis Lonsdale's second wife Elizabeth Newsome nee Etty was also a dressmaker.

Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Best Regards
Venelow
Canada