Author Topic: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven  (Read 13139 times)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
NZp,
I came across this reference whilst looking for the physical limits of West Barns of Clyde Farm, which extended to 100 acres, as I do not think that any part (unless detached) would have extended as far as the area of 1950's Drumchapel as several other farms would lie between them.

ElectricScotland: ( http://www.electricscotland.com/history/ryegate/3.htm )
History of Ryegate, Vermont
Chapter 111  (= 3)
Inchinnan - ................ - "Bond of Association" - Names of Subscribers.

NOTE. The "Bond of Association for the Company" was signed by the following persons: ........
....; Robert Brock & John Paterson, farmers at Barns of Clyde; Walter & Matthew Roben, Farmers at Third-part-Miln; Alexander Paterson, farmer in Drumry;........

I noticed Brock's name in another site so I am not clear as to how both were linked to BofC Farm but I did notice that Paterson was specifically linked with West BofC.
****(Just looked back at Br1gau's post and see a Brock mentioned at East Barns of Clyde)****

The 6" map showed Third-part-Miln as close to where present day Thirdpart Crescent is today. Third Part Farm was a short distance further north.
jcmac.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 June 15 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hello NZp,
Your subject heading also referred to Foulmyres Farm but I did not wish to refer to it as it was in county of Lanarkshire which is where I think you may wish to make further enquiries on that Board.
It was indeed east of Strathaven, south of Shawhead Farm and north of Hosenet (Hosenette) Farm.
I see on later OS maps that it is marked as "in ruins".
jcmac

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
NZp,
I tried "Barns of Clyde" in the British Library newspapers archive search and got some 90+ items.
Looked at a few of them and thought these may be of interest:-
Glasgow Herald, Thursday June 18, 1863.
Marriages.
At East Chapleton, New Kilpatrick, on the 16th.instant, by the Rev.Will'm S. Shanks, minister of Maryhill, Robert Paterson, farmer, West Barns of Clyde, to Annie, eldest daughter of Mr.Samuel Wallace, farmer, East Chapleton.

Glasgow Herald, Friday May 15, 1874.
Deaths.
Suddenly, at 76, Grove Street, Cowcaddens, on the 13th.inst, Elizabeth Paterson, relict of John Brock, farmer, late of West Barns of Clyde - Friends please accept of this invitation.

Glasgow Herald, Monday, July 9, 1883.
Marriages.
Paterson - Brock. - At East Barns of Clyde Farm, Yoker, on the 5th.instant, by the Rev.Robert Henderson, MA, BD, Robert Paterson, to Jesee Brock, fourth daughter of the late John Brock.

1 is definite, 3 is probable and 2 a maybe.
jcmac.

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 June 15 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hello jcmac,

Yes indeed Foulmyres Farm  is in ruins,  you can google maps the address and see the remains.  This is where Robert Paterson was born.

Yes indeed that is the correct marriage detail for Robert Paterson and Ann Wallace (daughter of Samuel Wallace and Jean Scott). :-)

I don't know of an Elizabeth or of a Brock connection.

I need to sit down and pull all of what we have together. 
While we are interested in the journey, lives and people linked with Robert and Ann Paterson the buildings too have been of interest.  I guess we just love the old buildings.

My sister in law having visited Glasgow many years ago must have been given an address by the family for her to go there.  I wonder if it is somewhere that Robert's son John Paterson had lived in before he moved to New Zealand. (no don't know that address know).
A cousin believes John (aka Jack) Paterson came directly to NZ from 'the Firth of Clyde'.  Based on his recall of 'Jack's discussions of home.  He owned an agricultural contracting business here in NZ. 

I have been unable to find the location of James Paterson, and another brother Robert Paterson (junior).  So lots of work to do. 

It's so exciting when wee snippets of our family are found.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Paterson, Wallace, Hamilton. (Scotland- England)
Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)
Bailey,Parry, Harpur, Neilson, Johansen, (English/Welsh/Danish/ Norwegian)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello NZp,
I have located Robert Paterson on transcribed 1841 and 1851 census details -
1841 Foulmire, Stonehouse (Robert included);
1851 Foulmire, Stonehouse (Robert absent) ;
1851 East Chapelton, East (New) Kilpatrick (Robert Paterson 23 Plowman).
He appears to be working for his future father-in-law whose wife is a Paterson from Stonehouse as are others at this address.
Is Robert there because his sister married Samuel Wallace ?
Was Jean Scott a previous wife of Samuel ?
Do you know where Robert was at the 1861 census ?

I was looking at the old newspaper archive again today and picked out some of the Cattle Shows and Ploughing Competitions etc ( @ 1840 -1860) which had Barns of Clyde mentioned and these might be of interest eg (March 1860).....McAulay, servant to Wm. Paterson, Thirdpart, East Kilpatrick;....
and (June 1847).....John Brock (Sen), East Barns of Clyde ;   and .....John Brock (Jun), West Barns of Clyde;
Hope some of this still helps !!
jcmac

(Onlymeant to underline transcribed)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 27 June 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
NZp,
Found answer to my own question -
1841 Park Farm, Eaglesham, Renfrewshire.
Samuel Wallace 30, wife Jean 30, Dau. Ann 3, Dau.Marion 1.
Looks like Jean died and Samuel remarried - possibly Robert's sister ?
jcmac.

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 June 15 02:01 BST (UK) »
haha
jcmac,
You are truly amazing.

Yes I have found that Jean died and Samuel remarried.  I think from the dates that Robert went to live with them and then he married Ann (his Brother in law's daughter!).  Yes Samuel Wallace appears to have married Robert's sister Margaret Paterson.

Robert b. 1827 Foulmires farm
1861 age 34 New Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire, Scotland. (living with his brother in law)
1863: Married ANN Wallace.
1871 age 44 Old Kilpatrick Dumbartonshire Scotland (head of house)
1872 age 45,  Barns of Clyde west, york, Glasgow
1881 age 54,  Old Kilpatrick Dumbartonshire Scotland (head of house)

I think this is also true...
1891: Residence
Shephall, Shephall, Hertfordshire  1891 Census. Living at ‘Half Hyde’ an old farm cottage. Still mentioned today.    Robert is noted as a farmer employing staff there.  Lillias was still a scholar.

1901 — Age: 74  Thorne Farm, Minster, Kent, England.  Relation to Head of House: Head. Farmer.

1902 19 Sep — Age: 75 Death Hillholme, North Mymms (sic). Buried with Ann at St Mary's Church Shephall, Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

Aha... Park Farm, Eaglesham, Renfrewshire.  Is where Ann Wallace was born.

I'm still wondering who this William Paterson is, a cousin maybe?  I think Robert's son John may have moved back from England and lived with him before moving to NZ.

I love how technology enables us to have this speedy communication from so very far away. 
Wishing you  a wonderful day!
Shirlene Paterson.
Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 June 15 04:12 BST (UK) »
FYI.
Going back in time... this appears to be our Robert Paterson's (1827), parents and extended family.

http://records.ancestry.com.au/robert_paterson_records.ashx?pid=130310217
I didn't know about the Jean Paterson 1810.  An Lillias is spelt 2 different ways. sometimes Lilias.  So hope there are not 2 Lillias Hamilton and Robert Patersons who married and have similar DOB and similar childrens' names.  Although I wouldn't be surprised. 

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello NZp,
Following our PM's I am glad to see you had already broadened your searches to other Boards and I will try to assist on this one.
I am still not clear as to your information source that West BofC, or part of it, was lost below the 1950's Drumchapel Housing Scheme. I am positive that no part of West BofC farm extended as far as even the nearest corner of Drumchapel and in effect you would be "looking in the wrong place".
As the R.Clyde first flows north to Glasgow it then runs in a general direction to the west. It would pass Yoker, East BofC and West BofC in that order. Directly north of Yoker would be Thirdpart Miln then further north Thirdpart Farm. All of the Drumchapel Housing Scheme is further north of Thirdpart Farm across the Forth and Clyde Canal and above present day Great Western Road which is the "high road" west out of Glasgow eventually becoming Stirling Road in Dumbarton some 8 miles away.
100 acres of West BofC would not reach any part of Drumchapel.
To the east of and bordering Drumchapel is Bearsden in which was East Chapelton Farm near the corner of present day Milngavie Road and Boclair Road.
From West Barns of Clyde Farm to East Chapelton Farm would be @ 4-5 miles as the crow flies.
The Wikipedia entry for "Old Drumchapel" (which still exists) gives a good idea of the area and location in the past.

Have you seen the 1851 census for East (New) Kilpatrick 500 En'r 8 page 11 sched.35 for Thirdpart Farmhouse - as transcribed - which shows a Lillias Paterson widow as Head of the house, her M-in-L aged 92, and her family including a dau. Lillias.
The 1841 census - as transcribed - for Thirdpart Mill shows Lillias there with M-in-L and children but I think the transcription doesn't look quite right - more than one household combined ??

My first post on 27/6 included a death report (13.5.1874) for Elizabeth Paterson or Brock and she appears aged 27 at West BofC in the 1851 census.

I know it's easy to overload with too much information coming from all directions. However, the first name Lillias is quite coincidental and might provide a link. 
Regards,
jcmac