Author Topic: New Ancestry layout  (Read 11102 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
New Ancestry layout
« on: Friday 12 June 15 02:27 BST (UK) »
Anyone tried it out?  It is already driving me pots after two minutes. 
My mother buried in Texas not Christchurch.  ggg granddad living in London 1811 not Leicster.  Why do these programs muck everything up?  I was quite happy with the old format.
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry layout
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 15 05:22 BST (UK) »
you dont want my opinion...but there was nothing and i say NOTHING absolutely nort zero zip nill none wrong with  OLD SEARCH ENGINE and why some goose , cretin, fiddlesticker interferring moronic sod had to change it is totally and absolutely completely and utterley beyond me as the new one is well ....i leave my feeling up to u cos rite now i have run out of adjectives, verbs and nouns to discuss it any further.... :) :) :) :) :) :) ???

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 15 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is nothing wrong with the current search engine if used correctly. The majority of the fields allow you, upon entering data, to either select "exact" or some options (you tick a small box that appears once you have entered data in that field) This allows some flexibility in your search.
Your search results depend upon what options, if any, you have selected. If you select exact for all fields then the results will reflect that, if you don't make any selections then the results will start with those that match perfectly then it lists those that match some of your data.

Andy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 15 06:27 BST (UK) »
As far as I can tell, the Search Engine itself hasn't changed for a few years?

What has changed is the front-end screen, where you enter your search criteria.

What search criteria are you entering?
Have you set "Collection Focus" to "UK and Ireland"?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline spices

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry Salt 1780-1827
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 15 06:37 BST (UK) »
you dont want my opinion...but there was nothing and i say NOTHING absolutely nort zero zip nill none wrong with  OLD SEARCH ENGINE and why some goose , cretin, fiddlesticker interferring moronic sod had to change it is totally and absolutely completely and utterley beyond me as the new one is well ....i leave my feeling up to u cos rite now i have run out of adjectives, verbs and nouns to discuss it any further.... :) :) :) :) :) :) ???

FF now tell us how you really feel  ???
ARTHUR -Yorkshire - my brick wall
HINCHCLIFFE/HINCLIFE -Yorkshire -2nd brick wall
HAWES -Cornwall
SIMPSON -Yorkshire Kildwick.
VINEN - Wiltshire -convict
SALT - Hungerford
BURROWS - Edinburgh -convict.
Husbands side
BAXTER -Scotland -Fife
WATSON - Scotland Dunino
SERVICE - Paisley Renfrewshire
LESEBERG - Salzgitter Germany
BRUNKE - Salzgitter Germany

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
It never ceases to amaze me how resistant people are to change ... any change.

Ancestry have been using the new search format for many months in Beta and I have been using it daily for most of that time.  It's a huge improvement on the old search with much, much more flexibility.  Plus, by running it in Beta, they've had the benefit of ironing out glitches and avoiding the sort of cataclysm that findmypast suffered last year.

Rewind several years and everyone was moaning about the last search change that Ancestry made - 'the old one was much better' etc. etc.  I had some sympathy on that occasion (the search engine itself was changed I think so results could be rather different to what you were used to seeing) so I now find it ironic that that same search, derided by so many at the time, now seems so popular!
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks jon541. I was confused as nothing has changed and I am happy with what I have.

I am a new user- 3 months - so maybe I had the beta
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
No problems with using the new format either.  Are you saying Suzy, since the new change, that your family tree has hiccupped?  Of all the family trees that I have seen since the change, no-one in the family has strayed to other countries.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
I'm fine with it!  Had no problems.  Change is inevitable, and good!  That's progress, I'm so pleased that I no longer have to wind through miles of microfilm!  At least if I'm climbing up the wrong tree these days, I have a much much better chance of straightening it out!  And - In a much shorter time.

All it takes is a little time and patience to learn how to use changes in most of today's technology, Yep, and then they'll change it again of course! LOL -  But, we can do it all in our own time, and more importantly, in the comfort of our own home!

I realise that as I get older, I certainly find some changes difficult!  Multiple remote controls for TV and Sky was difficult for me to cope with when I first got Sky! 

Having to write hand written letters to some relatives who don't have email was difficult too, but at least most of them are happy with typed ones now!  A disability with my hand makes writing difficult for me and my writing is very poor as a result!  Now at least they can read them! 😄

Typing for me is not that easy, but I find that using a stylus on my iPad is much easier than actually trying to type!  Lots quicker and simpler, change and learning for me is progress indeed!  Not always without frustration, but sometimes just takes time!

Jeanne 😄

I'm glad to be able to use the technology which has evolved throught the 20th and 21st Century, huge changes, but huge progress, in most areas of life! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections