Author Topic: Chelsea Pensioner and 42nd Regiment of Foot  (Read 2062 times)

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chelsea Pensioner and 42nd Regiment of Foot
« on: Friday 12 June 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Could a person listed as a Chelsea Pensioner in one census also be a Pensioner of the 42nd Regiment of Foot in an earlier census?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioner and 42nd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
I would say yes , he could be an out-pensioner -

A Chelsea pensioner is an in-pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea, a retirement home and nursing home for former members of the British Army located in Chelsea, London. Historically, however, the phrase applied more widely, referring to both in-pensioners and out-pensioners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner#In-_and_out-pensioners

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thouhts and q

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ev, for posting the link to Chelsea pensioners. My inquiry related to helping to determine if a person described as a Chelsea pensioner in one census would be the same person who was listed as a Pensioner of the 42nd Regiment of Foot in an earlier census. The link which defines out-pensioners was helpful.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
do you have his service record?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 15 04:59 BST (UK) »
I have 2 military records for two John Munro(s) who served with the 42nd Regiment of Foot, They both received the Waterloo Medal in 1815. One served with Robert Boyle's company; the other with Donald Chisolm's. I don't know when either was born. They are both also listed in 1805 in the Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900. I am still attempting to learn where they served in 1805. There are also 4 John Munros listed as Chelsea Pensioners in the 1851 Census, It would be great if I could discover the year of birth and spouses of each John Munro.