Author Topic: Chelsea Pensioner and 42nd Regiment of Foot  (Read 2425 times)

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chelsea Pensioner and 42nd Regiment of Foot
« on: Friday 12 June 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Could a person listed as a Chelsea Pensioner in one census also be a Pensioner of the 42nd Regiment of Foot in an earlier census?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioner and 42nd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
I would say yes , he could be an out-pensioner -

A Chelsea pensioner is an in-pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea, a retirement home and nursing home for former members of the British Army located in Chelsea, London. Historically, however, the phrase applied more widely, referring to both in-pensioners and out-pensioners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner#In-_and_out-pensioners

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thouhts and q

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ev, for posting the link to Chelsea pensioners. My inquiry related to helping to determine if a person described as a Chelsea pensioner in one census would be the same person who was listed as a Pensioner of the 42nd Regiment of Foot in an earlier census. The link which defines out-pensioners was helpful.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
do you have his service record?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 15 04:59 BST (UK) »
I have 2 military records for two John Munro(s) who served with the 42nd Regiment of Foot, They both received the Waterloo Medal in 1815. One served with Robert Boyle's company; the other with Donald Chisolm's. I don't know when either was born. They are both also listed in 1805 in the Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900. I am still attempting to learn where they served in 1805. There are also 4 John Munros listed as Chelsea Pensioners in the 1851 Census, It would be great if I could discover the year of birth and spouses of each John Munro.