Author Topic: The mysterious William Douthwaite  (Read 29343 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious William
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
I think EEC countries are covered by Ancestry free library edition -check or ask your library in Spain, may have to set the language to English though.

1881 c is on family search and 1871 c
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census has William snr vet surgeon age 31 b Skirlaugh, Yorks, wife Jane also 31 b Arram, Yorks, son Henry Lonsborough Douthwaite 3, William 2 and Jane Elizabeth 1, all children born Beverley. Lonsborough as middle name could give a clue as to Jane's maiden name.
1881 has 6 more children, Henry not at home. Youngest son (7th) called Septimus aged 10 months. There is a younger sister Annie which would match the Annie in 1901 in Bournemouth.
By 1891 Jane is a widow (living on own means) , William and 3 younger siblings living with mother. William is a banker's clerk. 

But there is a William dying in Beverley in 1923 age 54. Probate to Henry Lonsborough Douthwaite dispensing chemist who is definitely his brother. So it looks like this one is a dead end.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
But there is a William dying in Beverley in 1923 age 54. Probate to Henry Lonsborough Douthwaite dispensing chemist who is definitely his brother. So it looks like this one is a dead end.

You are absolutely right! 
William Douthwaite (#4 on my list) died on the 15 of October of 1923 (aged 54)... what a dissapointment! :(

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
So that means your William could have a widower in 1947 but that is 2 off your list, so keep at it eliminating.

Next suggestion! but you will need your maths & calculator-check deaths of William in 'free bmd' or national burials website 'find my past' (Free stuff) post 1911 by age at death to calculate date of birth circa 1870 and compare against your 1911 census list. Could be a long job.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
The ones I have eliminated from my list on the basis that they died before 1947 (see pdf attached previously) are:

#5 (the bank accountant) who died in 1923,
#11 (the under treasurer of Gray's Inn) who died in 1942,
#12 (the farmer born in Aketon) who died in 1945,
#13 (who was born at Middlesbrough) who died in 1912, and
#14 (the wireman) who died in 1962 at Birkenhead

Can anyone please check the two farmers from Westmoreland?
(They are listed #10 and #11 respectively)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
What left from your list ! without a burial : you'll need to find the one who died after his wife.

Got one but don't know which one ?

William Douthwaite Dec Qtr 1954 aged 84 Westmorland 1b 524 (from freebmd website)

Can't find the other
--------------------------------------------
William Douthwaite Greenwich March Qtr 1917 aged 47  (Musican ?)

John W Douthwaite Banbury (Oxfordshire) Sept Qtr 1927 aged 57 ( Farmer  Crakerhall birth)

George W Douthwaite Halifax Qtr Dec 1941 aged 73 (Baker)

William Douthwaite Durham West Qtr June 1940 age 63 (Coalminer ? or Caulker ?)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 June 15 00:27 BST (UK) »
Going by the 1881 census on family search, there is a wide variety of fathers names, with your list of William burials/deaths, when you do obtain the 1947 marriage certificate one day with William's dad first name on, with his age then that may differ to the 1952  burial age and more accurate as it came from William himself. You should be able to find the correct William or refine to just a couple of entries on the 1881c and there is little more we can help with on this search being having to work all over the place, blind without the fathers name being so many different fathers first names in the census when it can be obtained.  :)

One possibility below

This could be William's dad

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y04974&pos=1&action=zoom&id=91193

Deaths Mar 1906 

Douthwaite  William  54  Ecclesall (Sheffield) B.  9c 219

Monckton main colliery situated between Royston, Felkirk and Shafton

William Douthwaite in link

This William was a bank manager see link 3

(Not William Douthwaite of Beverley accountant bank as he died 1923)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/191b9537-8320-43fe-9b4c-94785db3b2c4

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/d13a0845-00b4-4c94-b48f-3c8d4f3ead48

Offline chr1st1an

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
This is how my list is so far...
(see pdf attached)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 June 15 14:21 BST (UK) »
Deaths Dec 1945 
Douthwaite  William T  74  Wharfedale  9a 157

I would say this could be the other Westmorland farmer, Yorkshire upper river Wharfe starts it life at Buckden  not that far from Westmorland border at Dent in Yorkshire  see map link. Probable hill land farmer moved down the Wharfedale valley in his life time.

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17480

The Durham coalminer hewer looks likely moved south to Monckton pit Felkirk Barnsley or other coalmines near