Author Topic: What does the stripe on the cap mean - RAF  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Re: What does the stripe on the cap mean - RAF
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting website which lists all of the ITWs (Initial Training Wing) which you can match against his records when you acquire them. I have a photograph of two men wearing side caps with this white band (cadet flash?) in Torquay, and there were many ITWs in that area 1940 onwards.
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does the stripe on the cap mean - RAF
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 January 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting website which lists all of the ITWs (Initial Training Wing) which you can match against his records when you acquire them. I have a photograph of two men wearing side caps with this white band (cadet flash?) in Torquay, and there were many ITWs in that area 1940 onwards.

I think you mean Forage caps.   When I enlisted in August 1951 my first week was at Cranwell where we were kitted out, took the oath, interviewed for a trade or commission etc and we were at that time issued with the new Berets.   However when we arrived at RAF Cosford for recruit training as AC2's some of my Flight had somehow got hold of the old forage caps and they were allowed to wear them.    After the 8 weeks of square bashing at the hands of some of the most sadistic drill instructors we got a week leave before posting to the station that had trade courses for whatever you had been selected to serve.   My time at RAF Credenhill, near Hereford was just three months and after passing that we then became AC1's Air Craftsmen First Class.   About a year later I got my LAC - Leading Aircraftsman and then after another year I had to take another test before i got my SAC - Senior Aircrftsman - that was all while serving in Aden.    My three years enlistment was up before I could go for next rank up - Corporal which for anyone in Aden would have meant a stretch in Cyprus.   
    Technicians were ranked Junior Technician, Corporal Technician, Senior Technician Chief Tech and then I think Master Tech equivalent to Warrant Officer.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields