Author Topic: Sittingbourne Electroral Rolls/Registers  (Read 3305 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sittingbourne Electroral Rolls/Registers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 June 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea what part of the country he may have been born. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 June 15 11:19 BST (UK) »
No - unfortunately all I know is he was living in Sittingbourne in 1970 - I am seeing my mum later and will quiz her further to try and get a little more info. I think this is going to be a difficult search!

Monique :-)
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 07:33 BST (UK) »
Spoke to my mum again - she doesn't remember street address and didn't seem 100% sure that the surname was accurate.  Looks like I will have to go through the registers street by street until I find him as this is my only lead.

Does anyone know where the Sittingbourne Electoral registers for 1970/1 are kept or if I can order a CD Rom to browse them at home (I can't find them available to view online).

Manu thanks :-)
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
You haven't updated your profile so we don't know where in the world you are and where you can get to.

The British Library at St Pancras in London has an almost complete set of post 1945 registers but they aren't on site and take 48 hours to deliver.

Other than that, I expect there are sets in Kent at the local archives or reference libraries.

I doubt if you'll find the data on cd or dvd for such a recent date.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks I am looking at The British Library at the moment.   I am in Berkshire and can travel.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
According to wiki, Sittingbourne used to be in the constituency of Faversham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sittingbourne_and_Sheppey_%28UK_Parliament_constituency%29

But check with the main reference library or archives for Sittingbourne to make sure.

if so have a look at the British Library catalogue, page 130 here

http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelprestype/offpubs/electreg/parliamentary/parliamentaryconstituencies.pdf

the reference number is BL.K.10

you can order 10 years worth in one go so order 1966 to 1975 which should cover the dates you are interested in.

Contact Social Sciences at the Library (phone and leave a message and they will ring back) and they can order these for you in advance if you don't have a readers ticket. They will hold books for 3 days.

You can get a readers ticket on the day as long as you take all the required paperwork to reader regsitration.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and the useful links, Kent isn't my regular area of family history research so I was pretty clueless before. :-)