Author Topic: Edward Rich (Ritch) parents lookup please  (Read 8198 times)

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
Edward Rich (Ritch) parents lookup please
« on: Monday 15 June 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone with access to resources can help me.

On 27 Aug 1819, my ggg grandfather, Edward Rich/Ritch married Stewart (yes, female and same surname) Rich on Hoy, Orkney Islands. I know of her parents, John Rich and Janet Stout, but have a couple of possibilities as to his parents.

According to online site "Whitton and Ritch Genealogy of Scotland", he was born on 11 May 1800 in Rackwick, Hoy with parents unknown by them.  According to www.cursiter.com records of Ritch Births and Baptisms of Caithness, Orkney and Shetland, Edward Rich of the same birthdate had parents, Magnus Rich and Margaret Skea.

I've been given another family tree and it lists his birthdate as 1794 in Rackwick, Hoy with parents, Edward Rich and Jannet Thomson.

Does anyone have access to parish records to see if their marriage record gives parents names?

I live in hope

Cheers,
Alison  :)

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rich (Ritch) parents lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
According to the 1871 census your Edward was born at Rackwick which is on the island of Hoy.  He was age 75, making his birth around 1796.  The birth you found on cursiter (to Magnus Ritch and Margaret Skea) is almost certainly not your ancestor as he was born on the other side of Orkney in the parish of Deerness.  It looks as if his birth may be one of the many which was never recorded.  Marriage records before 1855 don't usually give parents names, but as he is not listed in the 1881 census, he must have died sometime between 1871 and 1881.  You would certainly get his parents names from his death record which will be available on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/  Have you joined the Orkney Family History Society?  They would very likely be able to help.  You can join on their website at http://www.orkneyfhs.co.uk/

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

What children do you have for them? This is the family in 1841?:

Edward Rich 45 farmer
Stewart Rich 40
Isabella Rich 15
Margret Rich 9
Jannet Rich 7
John Rich 4
Charles Rich 1 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X18H-H4F
Andrew Thomson 70 Ind

Address: Greenhill, Hoy and Graemsay

One other child showing on Family Seach:

Isaac 1826 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X18H-7L9  A little more on him here I think www.orkneyfhs.co.uk/sfndocs/23/23.pdf on Page 5.

Sometimes you get clues as I am sure you know from the names used for children, specially the early born.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Just to add to Skyran's post -
SP has an Edward Ritch death 1874 Hoy Orkney 1874 , born c1797.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
That would indeed be the best next step Ev for sure.

Can't really get any clues from children's names so far that may help.

LDS trees here (link shrunk) www.rootschat.com/links/01fhg/

Alison, can I ask, have you formally confirmed Stewart's parents' names from her death cert?

Monica

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
Had some spare credits so looked up the death certificate.

He died 16/2/1874 of Dropsy (3 weeks) aged 77.   His parents are given as Edward Ritch, farmer (deceased) and Jessie neeThomson (deceased).  Informant was son John.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your hard work whilst I was asleep on the other side of the world  :)

According to the 1871 census your Edward was born at Rackwick which is on the island of Hoy.  He was age 75, making his birth around 1796.  The birth you found on cursiter (to Magnus Ritch and Margaret Skea) is almost certainly not your ancestor as he was born on the other side of Orkney in the parish of Deerness. 

That seems to rule them out and also explains why there are no further children in the family with Magnus as a given name.

What children do you have for them? This is the family in 1841?:

Edward Rich 45 farmer
Stewart Rich 40
Isabella Rich 15
Margret Rich 9
Jannet Rich 7
John Rich 4
Charles Rich 1 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X18H-H4F
Andrew Thomson 70 Ind

Address: Greenhill, Hoy and Graemsay

That is the family.

One other child showing on Family Seach:

Isaac 1826 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X18H-7L9  A little more on him here I think www.orkneyfhs.co.uk/sfndocs/23/23.pdf on Page 5.

That is my gg grandfather and the piece in the Orkney FHS document is from the lady who has given me the family tree.  Certainly, the siblings of Edward Ri(t)ch have much more in common name wise than the Magnus Rich/Margaret Skea family. Siblings included Elizabeth, Andrew, Isabella, Mary and Isaac.

Having just read the article, I've now realised I've not concentrated at all on the Spence side of the family.

According to the 1871 census your Edward was born at Rackwick which is on the island of Hoy.  He was age 75, making his birth around 1796.  You would certainly get his parents names from his death record which will be available on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/  Have you joined the Orkney Family History Society?  They would very likely be able to help.  You can join on their website at http://www.orkneyfhs.co.uk/

Have now registered with SP and will join the Orkney FHS.  I'll be in the Orkneys in early August and am really looking forward to walking in a few family footsteps.

Alison, can I ask, have you formally confirmed Stewart's parents' names from her death cert?

I haven't actually done this, but will now do so. 

Had some spare credits so looked up the death certificate.

He died 16/2/1874 of Dropsy (3 weeks) aged 77.   His parents are given as Edward Ritch, farmer (deceased) and Jessie neeThomson (deceased).  Informant was son John.

Annette

Wow, Annette, thank you so very much.  :D

Cheers,
Alison

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Alison

That was a good round up  ;)

Enjoy your trip to Scotland and where your research will take you.....!

Monica

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Glad to have been of help.  I think I have read somewhere that some of the present day Ritch famillies living in the Stromness and Sandwick areas are descended from the Hoy and Graemsay branches.  If you contact the secretary of OFHS in good time before your visit to Orkney they should be able to put you in touch with some relations!