Author Topic: Southampton - Hollins family  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Bherbe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southampton - Hollins family
« on: Monday 15 June 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find information on Sarah Hollins, born Southampton possibly 1802-1806.
On another thread regarding my larger family someone mentioned a baptism for Sarah Grace or Hollings with parents Richard Grace and Sarah Hollings (I think the actual names should have been Sarah Hollins, daughter of Richard Grace Hollins and Sarah) I wonder if anyone has access to any records with confirmation of the father's occupation or their address please?

Further to this, any information on the Hollins family from Southampton (it seems to be a fairly unusual name for this area) would be greatly appreciated. For instance -  I have some information that Richard Grace Hollins was baptised 1778, son of John Hollins and Mary but I have seen him down as the son of George Hollins and Mary on some public trees on ancestry.

Perhaps there are other children for Richard Grace Hollins and Sarah?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Bev
Herbert, Rose, Petvin, Viner, Thomsett, Ladd, Morrott, Rickards

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton - Hollins family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi if you beieve Sarah was the daughter of Richard Grace Hollins and Sarah  do you have the marriage , if not:-

Richard Grace Hollins to Sarah Doling 2nd July 1805 All Saints Southampton
Keyboard86.

PS have not looked at any earlier posts re this family !
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again, an Eliza Grace Hollins b 2nd October 1808 bap 21st October 1808 Romsey
Jane b 7th March 1811! bap 10th March 1811 Romsey
Same parentage
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bherbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard86 - thanks for the replies. I had put that marriage and the two other baptisms as possibilities so far - I wonder where you got your info? Do you know if there is anywhere online that gives details for these records such as father's occupation and/or address?

I thought I would start this separate topic for the Hollins' specifically - the other thread has 19 pages - this family does not want to be located :) It would be a few days worth of reading by now I think!

Thanks again.

Offline Rachel S

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Bherbe

I know this is an old post but are you still looking for information on Richard?

I am descended from the Hollins too, through Richard's brother Samuel, and have some information.

A while ago I went to the Society of Genealogists' library, where they have a transcription of St Mary Southampton parish registers and there was a baptism entry for Richard Grace Hollins on 12 April 1778, son of John and Mary Hollins (no occupation given I'm afraid).

Richard was apprenticed to a turner in Southampton in 1793, and on the 1841 census he also had the occupation of turner.

He married Sarah Doling in 1803 and initially they lived in Hampshire, but later moved to Gloucestershire. They had several children, including a daughter Sarah Ann in 1806, but I assume she died as another daughter called Sarah was christened in 1817.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more information on the family.

Rachel

Offline Bherbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel, Thanks for your reply and this is a little bit spooky! I haven't looked at Rootschat for months (possibly years) and have been on today looking back at my Brick Wall thread from ages ago trying to get some inspiration. It was great to get your message about one of the families involved - the Hollins'. I think I might be linked to Sarah Ann Hollins bap 1806 so I hope that she didn't die before the birth of the "other" Sarah. She is strange though as she appears to turn up in 1841 in Woolwich and then bob around all over the place (but never back to Southampton that I can see). I was literally sitting here wondering why she would have gone so far away and never come back to her family when I saw the e-mail saying you had sent your message. I would be very interested to hear about any information you have about the Hollins family, in case it gets me any closer to confirming if this is my ancestor. I don't suppose that you have taken a family history dna test that might confirm a link? I will send you my e-mail address via private message as it might be easier to correspond that way. I am compiling an extended Hollins tree as we "speak". Kind Regards, Bev