Author Topic: Marriage Lookup Hendon Parish Church 1871  (Read 4494 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup Hendon Parish Church 1871
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 June 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hannah named one of her son's after her Uncle
Edward Lawson Birnie b 1878 Sunderland Durham
died 1935 Essex  :)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 June 15 13:51 BST (UK) »
Is this not the marriage in 1838 Dorothy Hunter and John Mather in Sunderland Durham going by the age of the first daughter  ???

Oops, yes, my mistake...I meant 1838, not 1831! Can't believe I overlooked the Lawson/Hunter marriage on familysearch. Was looking for all kinds of combos and it was sitting right under my nose! Can't thank you enough, Boo - I can now put this one to rest. All's now as it should be :)

Deb

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 June 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info, Rosie. Still can't help but wonder why Hannah ended up living with her aunt and uncle...perhaps her own parents were experiencing hardship and with Edward and Isabella seemingly not having any children of their own, her living with them was a more viable option. Perhaps it was some form of informal adoption (not sure of the formalities at the time). Times would have been tough. Hannah must have been very fond of Edward for her to have named one of her children after him.
Deb

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 June 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I have got this wrong - But if Hannah was lving with Uncle and Aunt in an Inn in the 1871 census, perhaps it was a work related arrangement? Or perhpas they were just visiting on census night? I think sometimes people may erroneously assume a group of people are living together and imagine all sorts of scenarios.

Just throwing that random thought into the mix.  :)

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 June 15 04:52 BST (UK) »
This did cross my mind Ruskie, but she is also on the 1861 census with them as I mentioned in an earlier post, where she is named Annabella Lawson - this combined with the 1871 census was why I was considering the living arrangements  - like you say, I may be way off the mark though  :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 June 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I have got this wrong - But if Hannah was lving with Uncle and Aunt in an Inn in the 1871 census, perhaps it was a work related arrangement? Or perhpas they were just visiting on census night? I think sometimes people may erroneously assume a group of people are living together and imagine all sorts of scenarios.

Just throwing that random thought into the mix.  :)

I would agree think she would be working for them  :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 June 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
but she is also on the 1861 census with them as I mentioned in an earlier post, where she is named Annabella Lawson - this combined with the 1871 census was why I was considering the living arrangements  - like you say, I may be way off the mark though  :)

She is down as age 14 in 1861, well old enough to be working for her living at that time, especially for a relative.
I would doubt that it was a form of unofficial adoption, more an easily arranged 'live in' job with people her parents knew and trusted. That would have been a real bonus, not all girls in service were treated well by their employers.

Boo