Author Topic: Ancestry Vs Scotlands people  (Read 4948 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Vs Scotlands people
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all and thanks for all your replys.
I have them on the 1841 and 1851 census and I thought it a bit strange that she used her maiden name, I thought at one point that William had married twice once to an Agnes and 2nd to a Nancy but according to his death in 1855 only Agnes Beattie is named. According to Williams death cert Agnes had already died between 1851 and 1855 but again her death record is also a mystery as with their marriage.
Larkspur: The 1851 census you found is the same one I have with his wife named as Nancy Beattie, question.... is Nancy another name for Agnes in Scotland?
Dowdstree: I live in England so it would be a 5 hour journey to Edinburgh, might see if I can contact the record office online and email them about it.
MonikaL: All of their children are on Williams death certificate, I checked their first child, Alexanders, birth register just in case there was a reference to his parents marrying and it does state that both William and Agnes were married so that at least proved that bit.
Thanks for all your help, im off for another look. X
Dawn

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
the Ancestry database (IGI/LSD details) was originally based on the old OPR's & Church records. & individual sources like submitted trees (which some need additional checking)

An agreement was made that the Church's would provide the info if it was freely available to Users.

Scotlandpeople records pre 1855 can be patchy because it relies of the OPR's/ Church records available but its update upon receipt of data & many non-conformist records missing & you may need to consult the original church records . Post 1855 still the best source (if transposted correctly).

Also free website provides the 1841,1851 & 1861 for the Scottish Borders area

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Dawn, sorry. That was a rubbish 1851 link from me...aka, way wrong  :P Thankfully, larkspur was accurate  ;)

Agnes, Nancy and Ann are common variants. This is my favourite first name variants site, with a helpful Scottish bias www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=nancy

As Terianne mentions, a great website for censuses for the Borders, amongst other useful info is www.maxwellancestry.com/census/  You also have www.freecen.org.uk/

If it helps, are you familiar with Scottish naming pattern. Lots of links on line for this, such as www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm  Not always followed, or in order, but very often was which can throw up lots of clues really. Included in this is the use of surnames as middle names.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 21:17 BST (UK) »

Yes I did realise this, but in all my Scottish searching I have never come across a wife on the census not using her married name, so was not sure how this worked, Hence my question "Don't know if there is any significance in this?"

Larkspur, the practice of finding married women or widows showing using their maiden name seems to have been more common in the 1841 & 1851 censuses. This practice seems to have died out on censuses by 1861 onwards.

Monica  :)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
In the Scottish system the women's B M & D are registered under their maiden surname & don't legally give up their maiden name when they marry they choose to take their husband's name - but don't have to - helps with research & middle names are very common are do have family links - still common in the borders today - my brother and I have 2 each with links to both side of our family

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:23 BST (UK) »
To add to this, on women and their maiden names, this is why you can search for married women on SP with both their maiden and married surnames. Similarly. why on gravestone inscriptions, married women show with their maiden names (married to...etc).

Helps so much with Scottish research always.

Monica