Author Topic: Sgt PRETKIEWICZ Franciszek 784733 ww2 pilot  (Read 2438 times)

Offline lee5243

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sgt PRETKIEWICZ Franciszek 784733 ww2 pilot
« on: Tuesday 16 June 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to find out some information on the above pilot who was killed on 30th Nov 1940 in Northern Ireland.

He is a relation of a friend of mine.

I have some limited info so far but it would be great if someone could find a pic of the gravestone as i cant find that. He is buried in Glenavy roman catholic church Norther Ireland.

He was a polish pilot who fought with 245 Sqn RAF based in Aldergrove.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt PRETKIEWICZ Franciszek 784733 ww2 pilot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 23:18 BST (UK) »

Offline lee5243

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
Gravestone pictured in first post of the thread:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?64806-A-Polish-Pilot&s=2587daf7c09d3931e6237458f0d3e7fa

Hi,

Thanks very much Spikey. Thats brilliant!
Do you know how i would find his service records?

Thanks

Lee

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:14 BST (UK) »
Try here:

APC POLISH ENQUIRIES
Building 60, RAF Northolt
West End Road
Ruislip
Middlesex  HA4 6NG
Email: NOR-PolishDiscOffice@mod.uk
Tel.: +44 (0)20 8833 8603

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling Franciszek is a well known name in the Battle of Britain (his christian name was Josef) but I wonder if they were related?
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
He appears to have served with 303 & 307 Squadrons prior to 245 (there appears to be a discrepancy between sources about which squadron he was with when killed, though 245 is the most likely).

This site has a picture of him:

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/303/303_pilotlist.html

He is listed here (with the name of his Air Gunner - 307 flew Defiants at this stage).

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/307/307airmen.html

This is a bigger and clearer picture of his grave stone (which also states 245 Sqn)

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/WGUP/media/Foreign_Nationals/PretkiewiczFP784733AirmanPolishAirForce30-11-1940GlenavyRCGraveyardNigelHenderson_zps994e569d.jpg.html

Parts of the aircraft that he crashed in (Hurricane R4079) can be seen at the Ulster Aviation Society Collection:

http://www.ulsteraviationsociety.org/other-items-in-the-collection/4537645552

He is not listed in "Men of the Battle of Britain", but that isn't too surprising as neithe 303 or 307 were operational for the bulk of the BoB.

Offline lee5243

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
guys,

Thank you very much for your efforts they are most appreciated. I will email Northolt and alsso see if they have anything on him.

Very interesting to find out he was on other sqn's prior to 245!

Many thanks

lee

Offline lee5243

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Spikey,

Could you tell me how you found out he was part of 303 sqn prior to 245 please? Ive been looking on the net but cant seem to find it. Does it give the dates he was with these sqn's?

Many thanks

Lee

Offline Rucksac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
On 30 November 1940, a Hurricane fighter of No 245 Squadron based at Royal Air Force Aldergrove crashed into a peat bog near Cushendall from high altitude. Its Polish pilot, Sergeant Pretkiewicz, was killed on impact and was subsequently buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery at Glenavy, Co Antrim. Because the RAF salvage party which went to the crash site in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy failed to recover the engine from the bottom of the deep impact crater, the Court of Inquiry could only speculate about the cause. It was only after the engine was excavated from the bog with the permission of the Ministry of Defence, dismantled and examined by the Ulster Aviation Society in 1984 that the primary cause of the tragedy was determined beyond doubt. Failure of oil supply to the main bearings had caused them to seize and force a con rod through the crankcase resulting in engine breakdown. Being remarkably rust free – a tribute to the preservative qualities of peat – the engine was subsequently cleaned and rebuilt to the condition seen here at UAS
Sergeant Franciszek Pretkiewicz joined the Polish Air Force in 1933 and was eventually trained as a fighter pilot. During the first week of the German blitzkrieg on Poland in September 1939 he shot down a Heinkel He 45 and was credited with a half share of a Heinkel 111 bomber. On 19 September he was evacuated to Romania and then to France where he was again in action. He arrived in England on 27 July 1940 and was initially posted to the RAF's 307 (Polish) Squadron, a night fighter unit, then to 303 (Polish) Squadron and, on 8 November 1940, to No 245 Squadron at Aldergrove. His decorations included the Krzyz Walecznych with Bar. He was one of seven pilots of Polish nationality in No 245 Squadron around that time.