Author Topic: Robert PYPER of Fettercairn  (Read 10123 times)

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert PYPER of Fettercairn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 August 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks ibi,

I had forgotten about the age changes. I didn't like the options for Elizabeth anyway - so back to the IGI with renewed hope.

Many thanks
Diana

My pleasure !! 

ibi

Offline Mark Pyper

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 December 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm following up of the family tree and I have seen your post, I've also traced back to Robert Pyper &  Elizabeth Pyper (Watt) who lived in Montrose.

Did you find out anymore information as I believe this traces back to my family.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Andrew Pyper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Mark,
I am very interested in Pyper family.
Robert Pyper was my Great Great Grandfather.
I am trying to find out about his life and where he came from.
Do you have any data? I would beost grateful to hear more.
Sincerely, Andrew Pyper

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 07:52 GMT (UK) »
If your Robert Piper/Pyper is indeed the one baptised at Arbirlot, then the story about the connection with Robert Burns may be correct.

Burns' father was born William Burness in Glenbervie, which is in Kincardineshire, not a million miles from Fettercairn. He shortened his surname to Burns at some point before finally settling in Ayrshire.

There is a web site devoted to the ramifications of the Burness family, and Robert Pyper/Piper is listed there. See https://www.burness.ca/g0/p466.htm#i4654. I am sure that John Burness, who created and maintains the Burness web site, would be very pleased to have information about Robert's descendants.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 08:06 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census in Fettercairn has Robert P, 60, born Arbroath, with wife Elizabeth, 61, born Montrose and daughter Elizabeth, 15, born Fettercairn.

In 1871, In Yeaman Street, Carnoustie, parish of Barry, are Robert P, 70, born Arbirlot; Elizabeth P, 70, daughter Elizabeth P, 25 and granddaughter Elizabeth Gourley, 6, born Fettercairn.

Robert Pyper, mother's maiden surname Burns, died in Barry in 1873, age given as 73. The death certificate, available from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for less than the cost of a cup of coffee, will tell you the name of his father and the given name of his mother.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.