Author Topic: 1797 RossShire Militia List  (Read 3768 times)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1797 RossShire Militia List
« on: Thursday 18 June 15 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,

have just received images of the 1797 RossShire Militia List for the Parish of Lochbroom and transcribed it to join the other five years already up on my Coigach website; http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/

This particular list is in NRS as GD46/6/38, a smaller list then later years as it only notes men from 19 to 23, An intern at NRS, Samantha Smart, has kindly shared which Parishes are on which pages for the whole doc, wish I had this info before ordering as with their minimum charge per service I could have requested other Parishes where I had ancestors for the same fee.

Anyone interested in ordering a Parish let me know and I'll forward her data, the entire RossShire list runs to 29 pages.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline IndolentFop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1797 RossShire Militia List
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello there

Thank you so much for posting this.  I am interested in tracking down the lists of men serving in the militia in 1805. 

My 4th great grandfather was Donald Bain.  His son William's birth certificate of 13th May 1805 shows Donald as being a soldier in the Ross-shire Militia.  William's death certificate describes Donald as being a soldier in the 72nd Highlanders.

I am trying to learn more about Donald but, since his name is not a rare one, he's proving elusive. The clue about his military service is all I have.

If you can provide any information, I will be most grateful.