Author Topic: Which convict is my convict? JAMES HARVEY  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
Which convict is my convict? JAMES HARVEY
« on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I have just found a new convict in my family a few days ago after breaking through a brick wall i had been stuck on for over a year! I have a convict by the name of James Harvey who was born about 1818 in Tharston, London, England. He was transported to Van Diemans land and was married to Esther Jamieson in 1852. I know he was in Victoria Australia by the year 1860 as 5 out of his 7 children were born there. I have gone through every convict by the name of James Harvey and have eliminated all of them apart from 2. I cannot work out which convict is my convict.

Here are the 2 men

1 . James Harvey
Trial Place:   Central Criminal Court
Trial Date:   28 February 1842
Sentence:   10 years
Ship- Waterloo
Now you see the Waterloo wrecked at Table Bay, Cape Town, South Africa. There was 144 deaths recorded. The remainder 72 convicts were then transported to VDL on the ship Cape Packet. James survived the sinking.

2. James Harvey
Trial Place:   Central Criminal Court
Trial Date:   24 November 1834
Sentence:   7 years
Age 20 on arrival
D.O.B- abt 1815
Native place- Old Brentford
Crime- Stealing a great coat

This is all the information I have for the moment and I am hoping one of you may be able to help find out which convict I am related too, as this will help me break through another brick wall. Thanks  :) ;D

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which convict is my convict? JAMES HARVEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
Is Tharston in London? When I google it seems to be in Norfolk? Are you sure his birthplace is correct as Tharston, London, England?

Old Brentford seems to be in London.

More details on the Old Brentford, James Harvey (2), arrived 1835 on "The Mangles", a market gardener with Tattoos, black hair, blue eyes, 20 years old
http://www.founders-storylines.com/mugsheets/convicts/faces/ai31047/james_harvey

James Harvey (2) Only 18 years on conviction
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18341124-65-punishment-58&div=t18341124-65#highlight

James Harvey (1)  28th February 1842 aged 24, previous felony. His crime stealing a hankerchief
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18420228-876-punishment-19&div=t18420228-876#highlight
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
Just looking at maps and your right! Tharston is no where near London. I got this off a few genealogy sites that had indexs of his birth. Thanks for that. Even more confusing now that we don't know if he was born in London or Tharston.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hello
The coverage of the 1842 trial for pick pocketing is on http://www.oldbaileyonline.org

This James is 24 and the crime happens in   Wapping, so born 1818.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Is it the one who married Esther James in Hobart in April 26th 1852 ? He was aged 34 and a shoemaker by trade according to the register.

The one who arrived in 1842 was a shoemaker, a native of St James's Westminster

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-30,226,88,F,60
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
So he was probably the man on the the Waterloo, what a scary ship wreck! 200 odd people died!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_%28ship%29

Noy perhaps he was born in Tharston but lived in London for a good while?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 June 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone so much for all of your replies. I have worked out that my James Harvey is the one who traveled on the Waterloo which sank. All of the information you have given proves it is him. What a great new story to tell the relatives!  Thank you all again for your time and effort you put into Rootschat  :)  :D  ;D  ;)

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently trying to piece together the families that are prolific in Tharston, Norfolk. There are quite a few Harveys in the village especially around the first half of the nineteenth century. Do you have the names of James Harvey's parents or any siblings? I have found no reference to a baptism of James around the 1818 time. If it proves to be that James is connected to Tharston I will gladly share what is found.

Nigel (A Tharston Norfolk resident)
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 November 18 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Great to hear from you on such an old thread! All I know regarding James Harvey's parents (as sited from his death certificate) is that his father was James Harvey (occupation- Draper) and his mother was Mary Harvey (maiden name- unknown, occupation- not known). I am not sure if he had any siblings or not.

At the end of this month, I am heading over to England myself for the first time and I am planning on checking out some of the places that some of my ancestors originated from (such as James Harvey) so any info that is relevant would be very much appreciated!