Author Topic: Which convict is my convict? JAMES HARVEY  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which convict is my convict? JAMES HARVEY
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 November 18 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you missed this reply:

Is it the one who married Esther James in Hobart in April 26th 1852 ? He was aged 34 and a shoemaker by trade according to the register.

The one who arrived in 1842 was a shoemaker, a native of St James's Westminster

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-30,226,88,F,60

The indent for James also gives his native place as St James's Westminster, and names mother Mary of New St (I think), brothers William and John.  Not sure what the last squiggle is, could be 'Dec' referring to the brothers.  Normally after relatives' names their place of abode is given.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON14-1-18

Images 46 and 47.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 November 18 03:12 GMT (UK) »
..... and was married to Esther Jamieson in 1852.

Her name was JAMES not JAMIESON.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON41-1-31  (image 95)

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON15-1-7  (images 100/101)

Brothers Thomas and William, sister Love.

The family in 1841:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7MJ-HCG

Debra  :)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 November 18 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Thanks for the info and records! Its been a while since this thread has been active and since then I have done a little more research myself which isn't on the thread. Like you mentioned, her surname was James not Jamieson. Her daughter's (Alice Maria) marriage certificate notes her name is Jamieson (but she obviously gave a different name to remove herself from her convict past!).

It's her life before transportation that is the biggest blur, however the names of her siblings and that census record will start hopefully pointing me in the right direction!

Unfortunately she endured an abusive relationship with Harvey (evidenced by the numerous newspaper reports and his convictions, which I will upload if anyone is interested in the read), despite them having 7 children. Overall, she must have been an extremely strong woman. I did find her unmarked grave at the Melbourne General Cemetery and I got a headstone made up for her (which I feel like may be on another thread somewhere). 

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 November 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at all the parish records we have from the relevant period and can find no possible connection between your James an any of our Harveys.

As you know I am trying to create a 'family tree' of Tharston and, when I've completed the current family under research, the Bensleys, I'll have a look at the Harveys and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Just a quick thought - there are several villages around here with very similar names, are you sure it is Tharston as there are Starston, Thuston, Stuston to name but three, and I have often found people have confused these both in transcriptions and on original documents.

I hope you have a good trip when you visit us and, should the Tharston contact be fruitful, we would be pleased to meet you in our village.

Regards.  Nigel
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 November 18 20:02 GMT (UK) »

Hi Nigel,
I didn't realise there was similar villages with similar names in the area (Tharston, Starston, Thuston, Stuston, no wonder people got them mixed up).  Haven't heard or researched any of them! I will have to do some more research and see if any have any connections to the Harveys. Thank you for your help and guidance, very much appreciated  ;D

Offline Norfolk Nigel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a James Harvey born in Tharston in 1811 but I do not think that he is your convict - he was still in Tharston in 1851. Enclosed is the story so far .....
Peacock
Wilson
Harcourt/Hircock
Howling
Family in Norfolk

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a James Harvey born in Tharston in 1811 but I do not think that he is your convict - he was still in Tharston in 1851. Enclosed is the story so far .....

So close yet so far! Thanks for putting time into the research Nigel  ;D