Author Topic: William Cooke and Joan Roper m. abt 1665/66  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Cooke and Joan Roper m. abt 1665/66
« on: Sunday 21 June 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could possibly be willing to look this marriage up for me.  I saw a note on it but it wasn't documented and I am hesitant to trust it.

I believe that William may be  the son of William and Mary Blackbourne Cook (or Cooke) perhaps from Gloucester.

Joan would be the daughter of a Hugh Roper & UNK mother at this time and local to Somerset (I think it says Burnham but the writing is a bit difficult).

Any Help appreciated :D 

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: William Cooke and Joan Roper m. abt 1665/66
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Struggling to see the marriage but FreeReg have a baptism for a Joanna Roper in Burnham: -

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5510e4e8e937907e5fef2ec7?search_id=5587e6ad33045ba0ae000748
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Mel.D.Lorenzo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Cooke and Joan Roper m. abt 1665/66
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
Since this posting... I am beginning to wonder if she was actually married in England at all.

I found the Bristol Register of Servants and it shows her, Joane Roper of Burnham On Sea, Somerset, Spinster, to same (prev Entry the master was one George Hale- who, from other entries in the book, seems to have had property in Virginia), mariner, 4 years.

She would have been about 20-22 years old at this time (the entry was dated 28 Sept 1657).  4 years would have her at 1661 and the record I have at this point shows that she was possibly married in 65-66 (the son was born in 1666).

Begs the question on what she would have done with herself from 1661 to 65, and where the heck did she marry?

I mean, I doubt that after serving an indenture she would hop a ship back to England.

Also, is there a database I can access that has probate records?  There was a scan I read, where it says Joane had a brother who stayed in England, and he handled her part of the will when their father died. 

Edited to add:  I found in Isle of Wight County, Virginia Will and Deed book... A power of atty letter from William Cooke on Behalf of his wife Joane, one of the daughters of Hugh Roper of Burneham, Somerset to one George Stort of Bristol to handle/receive legacy from her fathers will and authority to arrest, etc should the legacy be withheld by brother, Hugh.  It is dated 09 Apr 1665.... If this helps find a probate record