Author Topic: Find My Past access to parish records  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Find My Past access to parish records
« on: Monday 22 June 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
In the past (a couple of years ago) I used to browse scans of parish record pages on FindMyPast to search for bmds but now I can't find how to get into those records. Can anybody tell me where they have gone and how to access them? It was so useful to sidestep mistranscriptions. Thanks, Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past access to parish records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisann,
Most parish records are available on Ancestry these days which, if you don't subscribe, is freely available at your local Library.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
In the past (a couple of years ago) I used to browse scans of parish record pages on FindMyPast to search for bmds but now I can't find how to get into those records. Can anybody tell me where they have gone and how to access them? It was so useful to sidestep mistranscriptions. Thanks, Chrisann

Go to the 'A-Z of record sets' (on the home page) and start typing the county. It will then list the baptisms, banns, marriages and burials available. If the entry you're looking for doesn't appear in the records, try a common name and look for a date around the one you're looking for, open the records and then browse from there.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrisann

As a generalisation, I don't think you can now but you can always ask for clarification

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/contact

I do know that some pages in the Westminster collection are browseable but that might be because they haven't been transcribed yet.

You can always tell because the next page left and right arrows may or may not be there.

I find the searches can be done by parish and year but without a name, the results of which may show a possible mistranscription, which if wrong, they will correct.

Victor, unfortunately some record offices such as Westminster have placed their records exclusively with FindMyPast

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you dawnsh. I was having difficulty with Westminster and now I know where to go to overcome this.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
If it is Kent you are after (looking at your 'names')  they are browseable

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fiz/

Against 'Where Britain' put the parish

and then type in to 'Select record set' - Canterbury baptisms etc

You may have to play around to get the dates you want  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help everybody - I knew I could rely on you. Chrisann :)
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock