Author Topic: Archibald CRAIG  (Read 7076 times)

Offline K Baby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald CRAIG
« on: Monday 22 June 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
I am searching for records of my Great Grandfather Archibald Craig.  He has become a bit of a mystery re his birth, mystery parents as well it would seem.  I have found a lot and this is the story so far. 
His name: Archibald Craig. Age 25 Pit Contractor Married Annie Smith 1 Mar 1878 Armdale. His parents John Craig (Pit Contractor), Jean Stewart. Her parents James Smith (Underground Manager), Ann Mitchell.
1881 Census sees him in Bathgate working as an Iron Miner. Date of Birth 1854 abt Bothwell.
1891 Census sees him in Whitburn. Coal Miner. date of birth 1853 abt Old Monkland, Lanarkshire.
1901 Census sees him in Blackridge as Colliery Brushery. Date of birth 1855, Stevenston Ayshire. From here I lose him, until 1911. Where I have found him in Nova Scotia on a census name as Creig.  I have a photo of a headstone in Brookside Cemetery 1919.  Can't find when 1904-05 the family emigrated to Canada, but most of them did.  I lost his wife Annie after the 1901 census as well, even in Nova Scotia.  I would like to find records prior his marriage and family.  Fresh eyes and ideas may enlighten.
Craig, Smith, Stewart, Mitchell - Scotland
Tipton - Wigan - UK
Miller, Smyth - Ireland
Sands - Tasmania - UK

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald CRAIG
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
His name: Archibald Craig. parents John Craig (Pit Contractor), Jean Stewart.

Hi,

Have you tried to locate Archibald's parent's marriage?

It may also be that he was born illegitimate..........as this looks to be a possibility  ???

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ57-FVY

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
KB,  there are two infant deaths to an Archibald Craig in "Bathgate Mortality Records",

Janet Craig, 4 Dec' 1890 age 1, Whiteburn? f, Arch' Craig, miner,

Janet Craig, 24 Jan' 1893 age 17 mth, Whiteburn? f. Arch' Craig, miner.

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi K Baby and Annie...and Skoosh!

Just to say, there is an online tree on A/try here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/76484230/person/30345457797 (only available on a subs to the site).

It has one of Archibald and Ann's daughters Ann, b. 1880, marrying in 1902 in Scotland. Family still in Scotland likely at this time. Daughter Ann's marriage would help maybe with further details on the family. She is showing as living in Nova Scotia in 1911 and 1921, under her married surname of Kennedy. Possible migration year of either 1903 or 1904.

From these sources, possibly him travelling to Canada on 12 Aug 1905 on the 'Siberian'. Still showing as married then, born Glasgow and a miner. Can't see other family names with him on the manifest though.

Monica

PS: Daughter Ann likely married the William Kennedy who is boarding with the family in Scotland in 1901...
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
Have you checked Scotlands People, the official pay to view site for Scottish BMDs, for wife Ann Smith's death?

There is a death showing there for an Anne Smith/Craig born c.1850. A possible death maybe for her. You can't tell from the index on SP which is the maiden or married surname until you look at the image unfortunately.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
Still seeing reference to family in Scotland...

Possible ref to daughter Jean Stewart Craig, marrying a Thomas Sneddon Mitchell in 1905 (marriage cert will let you confirm it is correct) and then daughter Jean dieing on 27 Oct 1959 in Bathgate, Linlithgowshire. You can confirm all this detail. All these certs will add to parents' details, if correct.

Monica

Offline K Baby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
1.  Yes Jeanie Stewart Craig did marry Thomas Sneddon. :-)
2.  Annie Smith/Craig death.  No I haven't I presumed that she died in Canada, but have not found a record at this stage.  Will have to look at that death :-)
3.  Yes Ann Craig did marry William Kennedy, they and daughter Annie moved to Nova Scotia 1903 and are buried in the same cemetery as Archibald at Brookside.  I found that tree, but unfortunately they don't follow the Craig line and I have contacted them and they don't know anything apart what they have done. :-(
4.  There was a child named Janet Craig Born Whitburn 1891.  I don't know what happened to her and could find a death record.  She doesn't appear on the 1901 census.
5.  Yes have thought about him being illegitimate, but haven't found the correct John & Jean Craig (there are so many of them) or children to see if there may have been a daughter old enough, and it is more than possible.
6.  Yes I looked at that passenger list for 1905.  My grandmother Jemima said on a 1921 BC Census  that she arrived 1904.  So far haven't found a family arriving.
Craig, Smith, Stewart, Mitchell - Scotland
Tipton - Wigan - UK
Miller, Smyth - Ireland
Sands - Tasmania - UK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
How about this entry for the Craigs arriving 3 July 1913 at Halifax NS on the 'Carthaginian', departing from Liverpool? All born in Scotland. Looks like they had been there before and returning.

Archibald Craig 59 miner
Annie Craig 59
Davina Craig 18
John Craig 3

Monica

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Monica,

I just love how you get your teeth into something & give it your all  ;D

P.S. Is that why you're on early tonight...................finished business to do  ???  ;D  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"