Author Topic: Searching for information on my dad  (Read 2145 times)

Offline JeanRud1951

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for information on my dad
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
I was born in 1951 and until early 2000 didn't suspect anything was wrong. I needed a passport so sent for a birth certificate and was told I didn't exist. After some time I received a adopted birth certificate and at 50 this was a shock.. I managed to get hold of a copy of A4 sheet telling me about my mum.. I managed to trace a brother after visiting where my mother had lived, he put me in touch with my two sisters and another brother. My mum had died 5 yrs previously as had 2 other brothers.. I would love to find out some info on my dad, where he went, if he had another family. His name was Arthur Barker and last known address was The Model Village in Long Itchington Warwickshire. He worked for Rootes in Coventry and at a Cement Works. No one seems to know where he went, he left when my mum was pregnant, in 1950. I do not know his date of birth, my mum was 41 when I was born so presume he was around same age. Please can someone help me put my past together ..Thanks Jean

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for information on my dad
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome Jean

Were your birth parents married to one another? If so, their marriage certificate would give you information which should help trace some more information about your birth father.  You can get relevant index details online at www.freebmd.org.uk, which will enable you to order the certificate online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JeanRud1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. No my parents weren't married. They were together for 3 years and my dad left. The only person who knew anything was my eldest sister as she was 21 when I was born. She fell out with everyone after mum died and told them they had another sister. She died and all the info I have is his name and last known address.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

Have you looked at electoral registers for the address you have for your father to see who else was at the property.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mog22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi. Afraid don't know anything about your dad but live in Model Village. Not sure if you know Model but there are still a couple of people who worked for the cement works living here who may have been here in the 1950s/60s.

Offline JeanRud1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message. I have been to the Model Village and to the actual house my dad lived in as there is a man living in his house that knew him. However he didn't know what happened to him ie where he went from there.

Offline JeanRud1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry just wondered as you live in Model Village if you are willing to ask some of the older people there if they remember Arthur Barker and know what happened to him. I know it's a lot to ask but I really need to get some answers. Thanking you. Jean

Offline JeanRud1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure how to find any updates from chats on here. I am searching for information on my dad Arthur Barker who in 1949/50 lived in The Model Village in Long Itchington, Warwickshire. He worked in the cement works and had a nickname of The Colonel, or The Major. He left when my mum was pregnant with me, they were not married and I was adopted. I have found my mums family who don't know much about him. It would be nice just too know who he was, what happened to him etc. I believe he had other children. I had a reply from a lady who lives in The Model Village, I hope you received my reply and maybe can help me by asking questions of people who still live there and may know something. Any information please or anyone who is clever at finding out info would be appreciated. Email address (*) hope that bit allowed.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
There was a big Cement factory at Rugby, Warwickshire.

I suppose that it is still there today?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich