Author Topic: help with placenames Kilmear and Slatefield  (Read 3640 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with placenames Kilmear and Slatefield
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
It is a coincidence possibly but i searched Kilmare and Slatefield today as it seems my g.g.grandfather John. O’ Shea lived there after his marriage to Honorah Sullivan. My g.great Aunt stated originally she came from Kildare and then Herefordshire. However I found her christening and her parent’s marriage in Rathbone. In thev1911 census in wales she stated Slatefield as her birthplace. They all came over to Bristol in the early 1850s. They then moved to Herefordshire after the death of Honorah in Bristol in 1852. I ordered 2 death certificates originally of Norah or Honora but on getting them it was Honorah who had died in Bristol and Nora in Dilwyn . She was also married to a John oShea. In the 1961 census this John and Norah lived next door to  John and Mary Riley. I have a gut feeling that This my John O ‘Shea and this Mary Riley are related. They might also be related to my g.g.grandfather,

Where is Rathbone??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 21:27 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
found her christening and her parent’s marriage in Rathbone.

Can you post a Link to it so people can at least see what County you are talking about?

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, this family of O'shea's are also my family. The marriage connected to the tree was actually in Rathmore 1842.

I have DNA connections to descendants of Mary Shea who married John Riley and lived in Dilwyn and also to relatives of Mary O'shea who married John Jones and settled in Ffestiniog. I am certain there is must be a connection between the two families but am struggling to spot it at the moment. Jmol17 is likely correct that Mary in Dilwyn is John O'shea's sister.

If anyone has done a DNA test and uploaded to Gedmatch then my kit number is A780692 and my sister's is A595166.

Sandra

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
We don't know as we were referring to a place of birth recorded on the 1911 census as just slatefield and an earlier one stating Kilmear or Kenmare hence the original thread which was trying to locate the place from these references.
J

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Sandy my DNA results are on my tree if you send me a PM Ill let you know the details, I am related to Mary Shea (3 x g grandmother)
J

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi J, yes we've definitely been in touch before. I sent you some death certificates relating to John & Nora in Dilwyn I think. I don't think I've seen your tree though so I will pm you with my username/email.

I did find evidence of a place called Slatefield at Dromoughty, Kenmare but this was for the death notice of a lady called Nora McCarthy (another name that is strong in my DNA results). I'll post a snip...

Offline POTMAN9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this family of O'shea's are also my family. The marriage connected to the tree was actually in Rathmore 1842.

I have DNA connections to descendants of Mary Shea who married John Riley and lived in Dilwyn and also to relatives of Mary O'shea who married John Jones and settled in Ffestiniog. I am certain there is must be a connection between the two families but am struggling to spot it at the moment. Jmol17 is likely correct that Mary in Dilwyn is John O'shea's sister.

If anyone has done a DNA test and uploaded to Gedmatch then my kit number is A780692 and my sister's is A595166.

Sandra

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi POTMAN9, did you mean to reply to this? I got a message but I can only find my response re-shared. Are you connected to this family? I'm still researching this line!

Sandra