Author Topic: need help  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Rita James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
need help
« on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
don't know quite where to start in the beginning i was born in Dundee 1n 1934 i was registered as Clara Thomson i was then baptised as Rita Thomson the next thing was when i went to school and my name was given as Rita Henderson i don't know when i became Rita Henderson everything was very secret...when i was older and asked my mother about the name changes i was told i was a bastard and my grandmother did not want a bastard child called after her so the name Clara was changed to Rita.   i have never found out when i became Henderson. through my life i have often wondered who i am but has a busy life working and raising my family i just got on with things.  i lost my husband at the biginning of this year and i guess i have just had to much time to think and the problems i have had trying to prove who i am.   any help would be much appreciated. thank you...

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita

Do you have any living Aunts and Uncles that could perhaps shed some light for you ?
Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
Well who you are is Clara Thomson if Thomson was your mother's maiden name.
Henderson may be your father's name, however if it doesn't state that on your birth cert you'll never know for sure unless as Judi said there are other relatives who can tell you.
It's sad but this was a generation who didn't tell their children anything.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
What you need is your birth certificate is you haven't already got it, see what name is on it.  I doubt you'll have any aunts or uncles (but maybe.....) so are there any cousins, it's surprising what gets told in the family.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Rita James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita

Do you have any living Aunts and Uncles that could perhaps shed some light for you ?

as far as i know i don't have any relatives alive . my grandmother raised me and she died when i was 11 years old my mother then took over, she was the black sheep of the family and i was tarred with the same brush and had very little contact with the rest of the family.

Offline Rita James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Well who you are is Clara Thomson if Thomson was your mother's maiden name.
Henderson may be your father's name, however if it doesn't state that on your birth cert you'll never know for sure unless as Judi said there are other relatives who can tell you.
It's sad but this was a generation who didn't tell their children anything.

yes i do have a birth certificate and a baptized certificate i just wonder if my mother married mr Henderson i believe he was a chemist in dundee. MY mothers name was Jean Low Thomson is there any way i can find out...i may have brothers or sisters.  what a mess...

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
You need to look in 'Scotlands People'  although it is a pay-per-view site it isn't expensive, and you get a lot of information from the documents.   Maybe you could try for some help on the Scottish boards.   
Scroll through on the 'forum' at top of page for Scotland.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

There is a marriage showing on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Jean Low Thomson to a Mr Henderson 1935 Angus. 

Rita, if you  haven't used SP before, you can register and search for free but will need to purchase a minimum of 30 credits for £7.00.  6 credits will download the record for you

ADDED: Mr Henderson's christian name was Charles and they were married in the parish of St Andrew's, Dundee.