Author Topic: Why am I not the administrator of my computer?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Why am I not the administrator of my computer?
« on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
I've had this new computer a few months now and have been learning to drive Windows 8.1 bit by bit as I've needed to.  The problem is that it seems to think I am not the administrator.

The only log-in option I have is as a user.  The opening screen has my name already there with no way of changing it and it waits for my password.  Obviously my name would be the same as administrator but it won't accept any other password - simply gives me a reminder of my user password.

The problem is that it won't allow me to download anything unless I put it in one of my personal folders.  Tonight I've been trying to renew my anti-virus software - the set-up icon is in my downloads file and I've been through the installation process but it hasn't overwritten the old information and I have no idea where it is or whether I am properly protected.   I also have a flash player update waiting to be installed but, again, it's not picking up on the old data and overwriting it - it wants to install the whole thing in My Documents.

Any ideas?

Christine

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I not the administrator of my computer?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
Go into Control Panel and then click User Accounts.  It should display:-

1) Your name
2) An email address of where you can be contacted if there is a security breach of your computer
3) Administrator (account type)
4) Password protected

What does yours display?

Options to the right include:-

Change your account type
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing anything about email addresses but there is a box with my name and underneath it says

Local Account
Administrator
Password protected

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:28 BST (UK) »
OK, tried 'change your account type' - it says I can't because I'm the only administrator and I need to nominate another if I want to change me  :-\

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
So it looks like you are the Administrator or have Administrator privileges.

I'm not sure why you do not have a user name.

Have you tried Make changes to my account in PC settings

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
When I go to that section all I get is my 'Local Account' not the administrator one.  Then it just has options for changing passwords etc.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Having read a bit more about this Local Account thing - it shouldn't make any difference because you have administrator rights.  For instance when I log in it as a user with administrator privileges and it allows me to download and install updates.

You can check whether your anti--virus software is running by checking the System Tray area in the bottom right hand side of the screen.  There is an up arrow and if click that it should displays some little icons.  Hover over the icons and it will tell you what they are and whether they are active or not.  One of them should be your anti-virus program.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
The good news is that some two hours after I installed the security update it finally appeared where it should be - having over-written the old one.  Who knows why it took that long  :-\

It does seem to allow me to do administrator stuff but I do not understand why sometimes it tells me I'm not it.  Hey ho - there's always a way around things so I'll look upon it as a challenge.  Maybe I'll invent another administrator - see what happens then  ;D

Thanks for your help

Christine

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Having read a bit more about this Local Account thing - it shouldn't make any difference because you have administrator rights.  For instance when I log in it as a user with administrator privileges and it allows me to download and install updates.

A local account simply means the id and password details are stored encrypted on the PC itself.   This is in contrast to what are known as network or domain accounts which you would have normally in an employment situation where the PC is owned by the company and they have their own computer systems.

Whether an account has administrator access is dependent on what was selected when the PC was initially configured.  From memory, after XP (or Vista as didn't use that O/S) there was no default "Administor" named account as there had been previously.  You are simply prompted to enter a name when setting up an account for the first time and select the level of access.  Then if additional accounts were set up the first created account with administrator access controlled the level of access for the other accounts.  I think if you try and use the name "Administrator", it won't actually let you now.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day