Author Topic: McCrystal (and all variants) One Name Study (paper trail and DNA)  (Read 2692 times)

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCrystal (and all variants) One Name Study (paper trail and DNA)
« on: Friday 26 June 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
There is a worldwide One-Name Study into McCrystal, McChrystal, MacChrystal, McChristle Christle, and all variants underway.  It is registered with the Guild Of One Name Studies (#6983 Angela Harrison is the contact person).

In addition to collating and presenting all documented evidence of McCrystals worldwide, it has a genealogical DNA study attached to it, which you are invited to participate in.  Right now that study is focused on YDNA and autosomal DNA but in the future will incorporate MTDNA.  More info available on request.

If you have McCrystal (or any variant of the name) in your tree and would like to know more or provide information to us, please private message me or contact me via the Guild Of One Name Studies.  If you know anyone who this may interest please pass on the details to them.

Thanks - Angela.
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.

Offline KellyMcChrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCrystal (and all variants) One Name Study (paper trail and DNA)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
hello!  My name is Kelly McChrystal, my great grandfather was Arthur M. McChrystal, born December 18, 1888 in Desertmartin Co. Derry Ireland. He married Elizabeth (born Flannery) also in Ireland circa 1895.  Art initially landed in Philadelphia, and made his way to Cleveland, Ohio where he met and married Elizabeth in 1921. My grandfather is Art's adopted son, John (Jack). Art and Elizabeth had 2 children together, my grandfathers half siblings, Elizabeth 'Betty' Neforos (born McChrystal) and  Arthur Jr. Although I realize I disqualify for the DNA study, I am most interested in learning about the family lineage, most of which died with my grandmother.  She frequently mentioned we were related to General Stanley McChrystal, I've been trying to confirm if this is true, but have hit a wall so I'm really hoping you can help me connect the dots.  It looks like it's possible that Art McChrystal and Herbert J. McChrystal Sr. are brothers, if this is true, I believe that makes General Stanley McChrystal the great, great, great nephew to my great grandfather Art.   

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly, I’m also descended from the McChrystals of Desertmartin. My 2x great grandfather was a Michael (‘Mick’) McChrystal of Annagh, Desertmartin. I’ve yet to find a birth record for him, but judging by census returns he seems to have been born sometime around 1857. He married twice, to an Ellen Carmichael in 1896 and an Isabella Walls in 1905. He died in 1908 aged 48. He had a brother named Arthur and the family seems very keen on repeating names, so there may be a possible connection somewhere back in the tree.

Michael McChrystal’s father was a Michael McChrystal (my 3x great grandfather). He seems to have been born sometime c.1820. There are tithe book appointments that show a Michael McChrystal farming land in Annagh in 1827. Given the ages, I suspect this may be another generation back (my 4x great grandfather)

Do you know where in Desertmartin parish your Arthur McChrystal lived?

Offline KellyMcChrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi M O'Neill!  I just posted to the thread where you are looking for the birth certificate for Michael a few minutes ago!

Offline KellyMcChrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 00:28 BST (UK) »
hi again, I forgot to answer your question about where Art McChrystal lived.  I was always told it was Westport, County Mayo. but if you look at the West Side IA Club, here's what it says "Other than Pat Lynch, and possibly P.J. O’Malley, there was probably no one in the first fifty years of the Club more synonymous with the WSIA than Art McChrystal. McChrystal (1888-1989) was born in Desertmartin, County Derry, in what would later become part of Northern Ireland. He first arrived in Philadelphia as a young man, where he worked as a steelworker. He later worked in the Pennsylvania coal mines. He arrived in Cleveland in 1917 and began working as a laborer. He married Elizabeth Flannery in 1921. Later, he worked for 40 years for the City as an asphalt paving foreman. McChrystal was the Club’s financial secretary for 40 years and was a Club trustee for more than fifty years. He played on the 1925 Cleveland Shamrock Football championship team. He was active with the GAA for many years. He was Grand Marshal of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in 1965. He died at age 100, leaving behind a daughter, Elizabeth Neforos, and a son, Arthur Jr. Art McChrystal lived at 8610 Franklin Blvd., Apt. 7E, in Cleveland."

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 19:46 BST (UK) »