Author Topic: Henry "harry" rule born Falkirk, Scotland 1922-23 immigrated to Australia 1949  (Read 4068 times)

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi we are trying to trace my husbands ancestors.

This is all we know so far and would love any additional information, especially regarding Henry's parents, grandparents etc in scotland.

Henry "Harry" Rule b. Circa 1916 in Falkirk, scotland
Immigrated to Australia: unsure of when because there is no record of him leaving scotland and no record of him arriving.
Lived in Morwell, Victoria, Australia around 1954 (according to census records) where he married Lillian Hutchinson around the same time.
He worked as a stonemason/bricklayer in the small town where he built many of the towns homes and buildings.
He played lawn bowls, and we have found a few interesting articles from the local newspaper circa 1952 where he had a few shenanigans with some friends.
He and Lillian had 4 children. *, *, Robert, *. ( not 100% sure on the order of birth)
Robert passed away in 1984 and Lillian passed away in 1994: both are buried next to each other in Hazelwood cemetery.
Harry passed away in Morwell in 2000, we think aged about 84 ( thus his approximate date of birth)

We think he would have been about 36 by the time he immigrated to Australia

Due to estranged family members it is quite hard for us to get information about the family so any help anyone can offer would be lovely.
We have been told that the name Rule comes from the Turnbull clan in the Roxburgshire area of Scotland.
We would like to be able to link Harry back to his family in Scotland. If anyone has any information regarding a sibling of someone in their family tree born around this time in this area who left for Australia, we would love to hear from you.
We will also be sharing on the australia page. Thank you

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=724015.msg5681224#msg5681224

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Update: with the help of some amazing people on the Australia post we have more information that might help!

Date of birth would have been around 1922-1923

Departed Liverpool on the ship "Cheshire" on 9 August 1949
Arrived melbourne on 12 September 1949

His last known address in scotland was:
49 park avenue Lauriston Falkirk

He was 27 years old and listed as a bricklayer.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi
His birth is on Scotlandspeople.
There is only one Henry Rule 1922 Falkirk.
You can purchase the certificate online and it should give you his parents and you can work back from there.
Alternatively his Australian death certificate should give his parents names and there are websites where you can look them up on the censuses for free.

Ciderdrinker

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi
His birth is on Scotlandspeople.
There is only one Henry Rule 1922 Falkirk.
You can purchase the certificate online and it should give you his parents and you can work back from there.
Alternatively his Australian death certificate should give his parents names and there are websites where you can look them up on the censuses for free.

Ciderdrinker

Was Just going to suggest that www.scotlandspeople.gov which as Ciderdrinker has said it will give you his parent's names and should have their date of marriage ...which you can also apply for which should take you back a few years  :) :)

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you that's a great start, we are going to try to order his death certificate next week so hopefully his parents are listed.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Quite a few families with the surname Rule in Falkirk in the 1901 census.. once you have the parent's names you can post and we will be able to help with the census forms  :)

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quite a few families with the surname Rule in Falkirk in the 1901 census.. once you have the parent's names you can post and we will be able to help with the census forms  :)
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help, I've been going in circles. I'm sure I don't need to tell you I'm a beginner! Haha

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Just to add , the 1922 birth certificate will not be available to view online , it would need to be ordered.
The latest birth year viewable online at the moment is 1914.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline nanville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry "harry" rule born Falkirk, Scotland 1922-23 immigrated to Australia 1949
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 June 15 05:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Rule family,living in the Polmont area of Falkirk,I'm sure that Ian Rule has/had a plumbing buisiness in Falkirk, I lived in the polmont area up to 1998.
scotland-anderson,bruce,wilson,carrick,elliott,fallan.
england-gribbon,evans,snell,anderson
australia-anderson, beattie
usa-campbell,anderson   canada-anderson.
mexico - Anderson and cramer