Author Topic: Blands  (Read 4888 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Blands
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 15 05:23 BST (UK) »
I just had a quick look again at my records.  Elizabeth Bland was known as Betty and was a teacher at Ironville school at some time.

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 September 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All and Marp what a story i didn't know of any of these people until my mum told me. I believe the Blands come from Biggin which is 2 miles from hartington so maybe that's where they are? wow so  marine engineer, how strange as my fathers side are mariners. Sounds very possible that it is the same family.

I'm so sorry for the delay in replying but I've been without laptop for nearly 7 weeks
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

From, Cumberland (Cumbria), Derbyshire, Rostrevor, Kilkee, USA, Australia,

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 September 15 03:00 BST (UK) »
If you are connected to the Ernest Bland  of Darley Dale who was a builder/plasterer then you almost certainly have the right family.  Yes it is highly likely before that the family came from Biggin, near Hartington which would confirm what my aunt told me.

My aunt, Edmund (Eddie) Bland's widow died this year otherwise I might have been able to find more information for you.    I think that there may have been some kind of family disagreement at some time which might explain why you do not have too much information on the family.

I posted information that Elizabeth (Betty) Bland was a teacher, actually she became a school principal.  Certainly she taught at Ironville and may even have been the  school principal there, so you might be able to find something from school records.

cheers, marp

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Marp

ive just seen your reply and shown my mum as she is interested in finding out more about Ernest. Mum says that she knew of a brother Arnold who also lived at Darley Dale and he had a daughter Norma don't know if there was any others but she worked for the Derbyshire County Council.

i also know that the Glossops are my paternal relations as my dad's mum was a glossop so i guess that's where there is the connection
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 September 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,  yes indeed there was a daughter of Arnold  Bland called Norma.   I met her decades ago but have no idea where she is now or whether she is still alive.   I  know that earlier this year there were some descendants of Ernest Bland still around but as I mentioned in a previous reply I think there may have been some sort of family rift or connections were lost. Your mother may know of this.  I do know that Edmund (Eddie) Bland and his sister Elizabeth (Betty) Bland were on good terms.

The widow of one of Ernest Bland's grandsons lives in Tansley.   For obvious reasons I cannot give you her details.   This grandson, apparently very fit and healthy,  died suddenly in his 20s.  They had no children and later she remarried.

Keep looking!   marp

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 September 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Marp

thank you for the reply and my mum knew nothing of this family feud the Blands never talked about it and now there is only my great aunt Daphne my gran's sister is the only one living and she's not very good on memory, That's fine i understand why you can't give out the information as i would do the same if i was in your shoes. Wow that's interesting to know that mum was right about a Norma as they used to come visit my gran and my great uncle Sid i never met them. The only other brother of Ernest my mum met was Arnold and she didnt know of a Edmund but as you may agree that he could have moved around a similar time as Ernest. This part of the Bland side is quite a mystery but you've helped uncover about Ernest more than you know my mum is very greatful for you input.
Will keep searching and see if i come up with something.

Offline Bland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Blands you were discussing/researching on this forum, I am an actual descendant of the Bland family which you are speaking of.
In fact I believe I am the last living relative from the Ernest Bland side of the family to still carry the Bland name.
I purely came across this site by googling my grandad out of curiosity as to what may come up & spotted your interest to the Blands from Biggin.
To further this I have actually only joined this forum to see if I could help fill in a few gaps to your research? Plus maybe learn a lot more myself.
This ship may of already sailed as I see the posts are from some while back now.
I also have a living Auntie (My deceased father's sister) who is quite a fountain of knowledge on the family. She is also a Bland by maiden name.
Not sure anything will come from this but would be great if we could be of any help.
Look forward to a response if possible.
Regards Dave Bland

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 April 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thank you for getting in touch i'm a decedent from Jean Bland 1928-1997. I couldn't really get much further than Earnest as it gets lost on my side, My great aunts and uncles on the Bland side have all passed on now and i only have a few cousins now, only 1 male carrying on the Bland surname. If you could help with any information on that part of the family it would be fantastic and i could help you on my gran's side of the Bland's, It would be rather interesting to see where we connect more. I am on Ancestry with a tree too called

Young,Warrington,Bland,(Derbyshire) 100% Official Family Tree (i'm the Young part)

Many thanks

Donna Young

Offline Bland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

Good to hear back from you. Like I said before I only stumbled across this by chance. I've maybe jumped in a bit two footed, as they say, as I've never actually studied or researched my family tree or anything like that. So not clued up at all on the workings of this site, but couldn't see any other way of making contact. Therefore took the plunge and signed up.
After reading through previous posts I could see you'd drawn a bit of a blank on our mysterious side of the Bland family & I'm thinking "hang on that's us".
I see a member called Marp has come up with snippets of information which to be fair are reasonably accurate.
His auntie he mentions would be my great auntie Olive whom was indeed married to my great uncle Edmund (Uncle Eddie).
I can remember spending time as a child at theirs during the school holidays many years ago with my father at Bow wood farm in Holloway. Which has since been sold on after the passing of Olive. Uncle Eddie has I knew him, passed many years before.
The family feud/disagreement mentioned isn't quite so straight forward to explain & most probably not fair to discuss on this open forum anyhow.
Further more it wasn't so much a disagreement amongst the Blands themselves, but I do know what it's referring to. Hence why I think it's probably not correct should I say to openly discuss this particular subject here.
I wouldn't of thought that's a reason you've been struggling to gain information on our side of the Blands.
But I don't mean to disrespect Marps input in anyway or form because he has provided you with very creditable information & even he & I must be distantly related to one another.
I feel I can provide a fair amount of information but as I mentioned before my late father's sister (could really fill in a lot of blanks).
We often joke I should visit her for a lesson on our family history before it's too late. The sad thing is it's very true!!! So on a more positive note let's see what we can all learn from this  :)
Cheers Dave