Author Topic: McPhee cave people wick  (Read 14840 times)

Offline Lokixx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McPhee cave people wick
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 October 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi. I believe i am related too. But im lost after my great great grandmother as she was left by her mother and adopted to the horrocks surname . We now live in lancashire as our grandfather's family has lived here but we come from wick origins. If you have any info id be happy to sponge it ? :D

Offline McPheeMoray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 October 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

If you give me any names and dates that you know I’ll check my tree and get back to you. If your ancestors were travellers living in Caithness we are probably connected.

Offline atrolinker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 May 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
Some of them are in Wick and some in Culbokie...ask at the pub there

Offline Thomson_2608

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 July 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandmother lived in the caves as a small girl although she refuses to talk about it. My mum tells me as much as she knows about their history. I’m definitely related to the McPhee’s who resides in the caves although having very little luck in trying to build the family tree beyond my great grandparents due to lack of documentation and too many of them having the same name makes it even harder (lots of William John’s and George’s).

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 August 20 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I've had my DNA tested. I am connecting to people who have the McPhee cave dwellers in their Ancestry. My mutual matches all have the same segment(s) in common with myself. The McPhee cave dwellers of Wick are the people in common with them all. Another name in connection with them is Newlands.
I unfortunately don't have any documentation in relation to them (other than the DNA), so I feel it's been an NPE, an error in my tree or perhaps a child was removed from their care.

EDIT: It appears to be on my paternal side, my dad has stronger matches to people with McPhee cave dwellers from Wick.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline ScotTravellers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 August 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My other half and family are direct descendants from Mcphee, Williamson and Newlands who lived in the caves in Caithness. Cousins to McpheeMoray who posted earlier on this thread.

Liviani - my mother in law shows as a very distant match to your father gedmatch at 9.8cm around 5.5 Generation wise

It be great to hear from others and help expand the tree and family further or help you work out your ancestors.