Author Topic: A Vancouver marriage in the 1960's? Henderson  (Read 9516 times)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
A Vancouver marriage in the 1960's? Henderson
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 17:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for the marriage of a Georgia Henderson(her father John died in the Mount Slesse plane crash in Dec 1956) Georgia was born in Montreal The family moved to Vancouver in 1953.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please. ;D

My friend whose family this is,will be visiting Vancouver(and Montreal) in Sept and would love to be able to find some of her family still living there.

Fingers crossed that someone can help.

I have attached an obit from the Vancouver paper about John Henderson after the crash.

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A Vancouver marriage in the 1960's?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 05 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

the marriage would be very difficult to find BUT you may have more luck looking for the death registration and/or obit for Nan Henderson

here is a possiblity - the actual death registration papers would have next of kin, etc. and an obit would help figure out if this is the right Nan Henderson

Vital Event Death Registration

Name:     Nancy Claire Henderson

Event Date:     1973 7 14 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    New Westminster

Reg. Number:    1973-09-010144
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13326
   GSU Microfilm Number: 2050139

She is buried here 

HENDERSON, Nancy C. St Helen's Anglican Surrey, 108th Avenue Southwestern BCGS-C-40

Here is the address for that church - they may be able to help or direct you elsewhere - the cemetery records should indicate next of kin perhaps or the funeral home who was in charge of the arrangements

St. Helen's Anglican Church
10787 - 128 Street, Surrey, BC V3T 3Y2

Anglican Church of Canada
10787 128 Street, Surrey, BC V3T3A2
(604) 581-4800

try one of these options to get the death and/or obit copies - maybe try both to increase the chances of getting a quick response

1. RAOGK http://raogk.com/bcolumbia.htm
these are volunteers from British Columbia who will do lookups of various items including Vital Statistics and obits. Send a request for a copy of the death registeration papers above (these papers should list next of kin, place of residence, place of birth, et.) and also for an obit which should list other family members. Please send ONLY ONE request for your information or you may not receive any help (admin monitors requests and removes duplications).

2. For a quicker respose you might try this gentleman - he is usually able to assist within 2 or 3 days.
http://members.shaw.ca/copies/
He charges a small fee to cover copying and parking but is very prompt and thorough.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma

Thanks for this- although I don't think that is her. I believe Nan would have remarried after John's death-she would only have been in her early 40's after all.

There is an Agnes Crichton Wilkie,who died in 1974,who I think might be her.
The Smart family were originally from Edinburgh, Scotland and the name Crichton seems to feature in previous generations of the family.

I do know about the RAOGK volunteers and have already mailed someone for a look up on the death.Of course she may not even have died yet  ::)

Was rather hoping I could find out more about Georgia too though  ;D

Once again thanks,

Regards

Carol

Offline Anne Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
A couple of suggestions for you - have you tried the BC Archives site online - I'm not sure of the dates for opening the records but you could check. Or, try the 'Marriages' listing for the name Henderson in the Vancouver newpapers for the time. Alternatively, you could try the Shriners or the Kinsmen for their records. If there is a marriage in the Henderson family and the father was very involved in the Shriners, it may be that the wedding reception was held at a Shriners venue.
Just a few thoughts - hope they help!!

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 20:07 BST (UK) »
HI Anne

Thanks for those suggestions,but the BC archives online are closed for marriages for 75 years.Virtually even before her mum was born,never mind the lady I'm after :(

The family were from Scotland originally,so would have been Presbyterian or Church of Scotland as a religion.Had they been Catholic,that too would have been easier.

Will find out what Shiners were/are,other than a black eye when you walk into a door ;D

All suggestions very welcome,maybe there is something out there I haven't tried.
I really could do with a Canadian version of our Friends Reunited,to find old school pals.

All the best

Carol

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

There is www.classmates.com which finds old school mates.  It goes back a fair bit, my dad's generation's on it (I have found some of his friends for him) and that's from the 40's.  It's all across Canada, as well as the US.  It's free to put your name in, but I believe costs to access the information if you find someone.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 20:46 BST (UK) »
Karen

Thanks for this- I have just taken a look at Classmates and find one big problem. I can't search by her name- only by the school attended.

I could of course try to post on the message board,but I think it would be a very long shot if Georgia read it somehow ;D

And it looks like I have to register to post a message.I 'll have a proper look in the daytime.

Thanks again though,

Carol

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 21:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe someone could find out what high school was close to Burrard Street at that the time?

I have a few friends out in BC who may know.  I'll get back to you on that one.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 21:34 BST (UK) »
Cheers Karen  ;)