Author Topic: Mary Ann(e) Thomas 1856-1915  (Read 6941 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann(e) Thomas 1856-1915
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 June 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Wheat Street is close to the Usk Bridge(and Ship Street) in this 1887 map

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101605322

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 June 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger, these old maps are amazing.

Wheat St is still there now according to google maps, though I can't find Three Cocks anything....

We visited Brecon 2 years ago and saw the houses where Mary Ann and her husband were living in 1881 (Mount St) and 1891 (Struet). 

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
I've had a reply from Merthyr Tydfil CBC but unfortunately they do not have a record of either a marriage for John Thomas to Maria Evans or a Maria Thomas death. However they suggested I contact both Rhondda Cynon Taf and Caerphilly as these areas include some Merthyr registrations.

RCT have replied that they have no marriage record, and the Maria Thomas death they have is for a child, so not 'my' Maria.

Not so sure of the likelihood of these records though as both areas are further from Brecon, but will see what Caerphilly find (if anything). If no marriage is found I will contact the GRO with the reference details, and provide what I know, and see where that gets me.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
In trying to trace the "Miss Thomas" whose death,age 30,is reported in Three Cocks Lane in the 1851 article,she is reported as being "..late of Gwenidived..." I think this is Gwernyfed(possibly Avenue?) which is in Three Cocks Village(presumably your reference from before,and it is here:-

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=12&lat=52.0275&lon=-3.2112&layers=38&point=0,0

I haven't identified this place or Miss Thomas yet on a census,but it seems worth a try.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger, I've not had any luck yet looking for Mary Anne's possible grandmother, Margaret Thomas, and wondered if the Miss Thomas was maybe a sister of John. 

PS The NLW newspapers site has been improved in the last few days too. Looks more user-friendly :)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
The Margaret Thomas/Mary Ann(e) previously mooted surely can't be correct.If John Thomas,born circa 1804 is her father,Margaret,born circa 1807 can't be her grandmother.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Of course not :-[

When it was found it looked good as I knew nothing about the age of John at the time, and it fitted with John/Maria not being together and Maria possibly having died, but yes, I'll discount that, thanks.

Caerphilly have no record of the John Thomas / Maria Evans marriage so I'll ring the GRO and explain the situation as none of the offices covering Merthyr can find the marriage.

Deirdre