Author Topic: seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton  (Read 16047 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton
« on: Monday 29 June 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for help with identifying a very grand house in the Brighton area. Around 1929.

The family living in this house had many donkeys and horses. There may be a connection with the beach through donkeys. Am guessing they bred them. They were also used to pull traps for deliveries and pleasure.They also entered agricultural shows with heavy horses and used them I think to plough their estate.

Does this ring any bells with anyone's research. Would love to hear from anyone who may be able to help.

If I get any takers I will explain more.

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Is this from the stock of photos you bought recently?

Why not put the photo on here as people may be able to identify it that way?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Is this from the stock of photos you bought recently?

Why not put the photo on here as people may be able to identify it that way?

Yes. Can't put photos on at moment need to be at work. Many are stuck in have to scan the pages as tiff file  and put in paint shop pro as jpeg. Took photos using mobile don't have the cable to put on compute at home, left it at work. Am on hols this week. The only thing I could do is text them to someone which is no good for here.

Will just have to wait till next week.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Here are the pictures of two houses I believe are in the Brighton area.    The first one is the home of my mystery family in the 20's.  There are many photo's of them in front of the house.  I am wondering if it could be located in the Preston Park area of Brighton.

As for the other house, there are several pictures of this in the album with a the  lady and gent walking with their dogs, same sort of era. 

These pictures and many more are in an album - My Family - Sussex.  The only photo's that have names are the many donkeys!  There is a man and woman and young girl of about 6 or 7 who feature in many pics.  When I purchase album I thought I was only getting views and animals of Sussex, didn't realise it would have family as well.

Jane

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, I drive along Preston Road in Brighton constantly and the top photo is very reminiscent of the houses that remain along there, several having been demolished and turned into apartment blocks.  Those that haven't are often inside high walls now so not easy to view.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 July 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, I drive along Preston Road in Brighton constantly and the top photo is very reminiscent of the houses that remain along there, several having been demolished and turned into apartment blocks.  Those that haven't are often inside high walls now so not easy to view.

Pheno

Thanks Pheno.  You must know Brighton well do you know of any big houses that were turned into hospitals or nursing homes.  In the photo album there are a couple of photos of the lady with a couple of nurses possibly in the grounds of a large house and I read somewhere that there was a house in that area  turned into hospital.

Jane

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 July 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, several of the properties were turned into nursing homes but have since been demolished - I can't think of one like that which still exists.

However, some things to try - there is this http://queensparkbooks.org.uk/ a local group that publish all sorts of books about the Brighton area and I've a feeling there is one on the Preston area and then there is this group: www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk to which you can email queries and they will respond so if you sent the photos they may well know where it is.

Finally, Judy Middleton is a well known local history publisher and has written an encyclopaedia of Brighton & Hove so if you google you might find something there.

Hope this helps,  Pheno

Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 July 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Pheno thanks that is a great help.

It may be that I am wrong with Brighton. It could possibly be Hurstpierpoint, is that near Brighton? I am not good on East Sussex anything past Worthing and Horsham is a mystery to me!   

How are you on Brighton beaches? I have some pics of donkeys on a beach, as this family seems to have a strong connection to them maybe they worked on beach. Also there is a family shot on beach which looks like the bit by the aquarium I think. I could post some pics or maybe second link is an option.

Jane

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hurstpierpoint is about 10 miles north of Brighton.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk