Author Topic: Redding  (Read 2929 times)

Offline davidr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Redding
« on: Tuesday 30 June 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
Looking for anything on Redding name around Aston, Birmingham from 1800s onwards.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Redding
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 19:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for anything on Redding name around Aston, Birmingham from 1800s onwards.

Hi and welcome to Rootschat ,  are their any particular families you would like information on, as you would appreciate searches for Redding only could take some time?!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. Redding pre 1840 is main interest at the moment.    Found marriage of Thomas and Ann Redding (nee Slater) in Trininty street Birmingham in 1839, but unable to locate them prior to that.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome :)
Familysearch has the following
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Athomas~%20%2Bsurname%3Aredding~%20%2Bmarriage_place%3Aengland~%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1839-1839~
So father Thomas.
Do you have the marriage certificate giving Thomas' age,father and his occupation.
There is a birth for a Thomas Reading St Phillips Birmingham 21 Oct 1821 parents Thomas and Dorothy but perhaps too young.
Cathy

Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline davidr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.  Have the marriage certificate of Thomas Redding/Ann Slater June 24th 1839.  Both "of Full Age", presume that means 21years old, or does that mean he was over 21years.  His father is  a Thomas Redding a Rake Maker as occupation.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Full age can mean:
Aged 21
Over 21 (the most likely meaning)
Under 21 and not telling the truth (which is quite possible)

As a first guide in searching for their baptisms, I'd look for brides who were 21 to 25, grooms a bit older - 21 to 30; if no joy I'd broaden the age ranges a bit.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thomas the groom was a brickmaker, Thomas the father as has already been mentioned was a rake maker. The witnesses were both Reddings who could sign their name. One was Thos Redding and the other I can't read, possibly begins with S or J and 5 or 6 letters. Thomas (the groom) made his mark, Ann signed.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
I've found a Thomas and Ann in 1871, Thomas is a labourer born Marston Green abt 1813, Ann was born Shustock about 1815 and the have a son Alfred b abt 1856 occupation spade filer.

But in 1861, the same Thomas is a dairyman, which does seem rather different from a brickmaker, so I'm dubious about whether this is the right family. There are two further children, Ellen b abt 1851 and Arthur b abt 1853.

Do you know if Thomas and Ann stayed in Aston / Birmingham area after their marriage and do any of the children's names mean anything?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Some parish records for Shustoke are on line, so I looked for an Ann baptised around 1815, several possibilities but no Ann Slater. But there are Thomas 1817, William 1819, Sarah 1820, and John 1822, all children of John Slater and Hannah. John is a labourer. Shustoke looks like quite a small place with only a handful of baptisms per year.
Looking at likely marriages, I found John Slater married Hannah Bullers in Grendon on 24 Nov 1814. witnesses Elizabeth Bullers and Henry Slater. The bride was of Grendon parish. John Slater was from Nether Whitacre (very close to Shustoke).

If John and Hannah married in 1814, there is a space for an Ann to fit in before Thomas in 1817.
I was about to give up on this idea, then I found a baptism of Ann on 25th Dec 1815 at Nether Whitacre to John and Hannah indexed as Pater, but the image looks like Slater, although it is rather faint.
So I think this is strong evidence that the Thomas and Ann I found are actually the right ones, despite Thomas changing his occupation.

Added
Don't think it was mentioned earlier, marriage record for Thomas Redding and Ann Slater said her father was John Slater labourer