Author Topic: Street Query - Dollar  (Read 8388 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Street Query - Dollar
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hanging my head - a bit embassed .....

It was me who posted all that info on the War Memorials site!

Anne  ::)  ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
You do so much of this stuff, Anne...not surprised some info slips by... ;)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 July 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Anne,
     I'd like to take this chance to thank you and all the people who have worked and contributed to the Scottish War Memorial Project. Fantastic photographs and information, but sad, sad reading. Although I knew my grandfather (WW1) and uncle (WW2) are both listed on the Milnathort Memorial, I didn't know Orwell Parish Church also had a WW1 Roll of Honour, which includes my grandfather, until I found the Memorial Project website.
     Thank you again.    Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 July 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Monica - I suppose (more than) a few things do slip my mind, but I get so annoyed with myself when it happens!

Dod - I'm delighted to hear you found the Memorials site useful. Everything is done by volunteers and I know I can speak on behalf of everyone there, that if any of our efforts help anyone, anywhere, then it's a job well done!

Anne  ;D

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 July 15 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ecksdochter...

Great resource that..will have a look this weekend.

I was actually thinking along the lines of Ballarat Place being a small tenement block within a street, similar to many that are in my home town of Leven.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Dougie.

Hello Dougie,
     I wonder if Ballarat Place, Dollar is a House rather than a Street.
     On the 1891 Census, Dollar, there are several families living in Achilton Road, Dollar (Achilton may be an Anc**try transcription error for Ochilton) However, 2 families live at Balariet Place, Achilton Road. Agnes Thomson, age 46, (Household Schedule No. 68) & Jessie Harvie, 49, (Household Schedule No. 69) 1881 Census, Jessie Harvie's address is Ballarat, Dollar. 1901 Census, Jessie Harvey's address is Balarat R, Brickwork Rd., Dollar.
     Ochilton Road (now named Devon Road) runs south from Bridge Street, past Ochilton on this OS Six Inch, 1888 - 1913 Map.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=56.1619&lon=-3.6762&layers=6

Slide the Blue dot on the bottom left of screen for an up-to-date satellite over-view. Or, click on Side by Side towards top of screen. You'll notice most of the streets in Dollar have been renamed!!
     You can also change the maps by clicking on 'Select a map/map series' on left of screen. The OS Six Inch 1843 -1882 Map is very similar to the map which 'MonicaL' posted. (Just love the nls site)

The other reason I thought Ballarat may be a house (2 at least) is from information about the Dollar WW1 War Memorial.
               www.warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic5780.html

The 2nd name on Page 2 is Robert Sinclair Dickson, 6th Battalionn, Australian Infantry. Son of James & Georgina Sinclair Dickson, of "Ballarat," Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
     3rd name, Page 2 is Peter Dudgeon, 4th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. Son of George & Elsie Dudgeon, of Ochilton Rd., Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
     4th name, Page 2 is Robert Eadie, 9th Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Son of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Eadie, of Ballarat, Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
     Both Ballarat & Ochilton Road mentioned but not together, however, there was a Ballarat in Dollar as late 1918/19. Almost within living memory. Someone in Dollar will have the answer to this mystery.
               Regards,     Dod.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 July 15 06:31 BST (UK) »
If you key in '32 Dewar Street, Dollar' into your browser, choose (Google) maps, choose 'satellite view', then take the wee yellow man a walk along the street.

You'll see lots of cottages maybe one of those was originally 'Burmah Cottage'.

Have you thought about looking at Valuation Rolls to see who the proprietor/tenant at that property/address was? They are searchable by surname, so something might tie up?

Anne

Burmah Cottage is still there it is the corner house at the junction of Dewar Street and MacNabb Street.
I have never heard of Ballarat though it could be one of the two semis at the top of Devon Road (Ochilton Road) opposite the memorial gardens.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 July 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Dougie,
     We all seem to be thinking along the same lines here because I wondered if "Ballarat" was either semi-detached or one house divided into two. My grandmother lived in a house in Milnathort which had 4 tenants. Gran's rooms were on the right of the downstairs hall with another family on the left. Same arrangement upstairs, a family each side of the hall. Although they all had the same address, on Census Returns they would all have different Household Schedule Numbers. (Re: 1891 Census, Agnes Thomson & Jessie Harvie)
               Regards,     Dod.
PS.
     I forgot to say that if you click on the link for nls maps, choose Scotland rather than Great Britain from the drop down menu in the 'Select a category:' box on the left of the screen.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 July 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
Burmah Cottage is still there it is the corner house at the junction of Dewar Street and MacNabb Street.
I have never heard of Ballarat though it could be one of the two semis at the top of Devon Road (Ochilton Road) opposite the memorial gardens.

Cheers
Guy
[/quote]

Thanks Guy...found it...:-)
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bloosman.  found your discussion and noticed a link with my research.
Mary Ritchie {Gullan/Gullen} is also my wife's GGG Grandmother through her and Andrew's son born 1849 Name:  Andrew Gullen/Gullon/Gillan/Gullan
Date of Birth: 25th July 1849
Christening Date: 26th July 1849
Place of Birth: Perth, Perthshire
Occupation:  1896 Cattle Drover, 1898 Butcher , 1917 Cattle Drover
Date of Marriage: 1878
Place of Marriage: Perth         
Date of Death: 31st March 1903
Place of Death: 1 Small's Wynd, Dundee
Cause of Death:  Acute Pneumonia, 4 days
Where Laid to Rest: Eastern Cemetery Common Ground (Poor Ground) Section M as this lair was not marked at the time of burial the exact location cannot be identified.
Ages: M/D : 27 / 54
Addresses: 1851 2 Canal Street, Perth, 1878 St Mary Street Dundee
1896 24 Session Street Dundee.
Death Certificate signed by his Son Andrew Gillan, address 6 Cross Row, Dundee

If you wish to request Family Tree for the Gullen's please advise
Regards
Markw