Author Topic: Johnston Families of Newry & Donaghmore.  (Read 13979 times)

Offline Laurie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnston Families of Newry & Donaghmore.
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
I would to exchange ( clarify ) data that I have on my relatives from Newry & Donaghmore.

1) I have a James Johnston who married Maria Annabella

Their son (2 ) ( Rev ) James Johnston who married Sarah Dobbs ( Dodds ). James was the founder of Tremount, a Presbyterian Church

Their sons were James Johnston of Carrickbroad & Joseph Johnston of Knappagh / Knappa.

Their is little information on the net which I have seen, I am after a possible relative whom I can exchange ideas and data.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston Families of Newry & Donaghmore.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
DONOUGHMORE, Co. Down.

This congregation was erected off that of Newry in 1705 during the vacancy there caused by the death of Mr. Lang.

The first minister was Mr. James Johnson, who was ordained by the Presbytery of Armagh on the 23rd of June, 1707.

In the following year the Synod annexed Drumbanagher and the Glen to this new erection to enable it to maintain its minister.

Mr. Johnson becoming infirm, Mr. James Richey was ordained here as his assistant on the 27th of June, 1763.

Mr. Johnson died October 20th, 1765, leaving a widow and family.

Glasgow Uni..  M.A. 1734. J JOHNSTON Sc: Hib F: Revdi Viri Jacob: Johnston V D M in Donaghmore in Comit. Dunensi.

1778:  JACOBUS JOHNSTON filius natu maximus Josephi de Knappagh comitatu de Armagh.

M.A. 1819 GULIELMUS JOHNSON filius natu sextug Archibald agricolae in Parochia de Cappagh, comitatu de Tyrone in Hibernia. Otherwise William Johnston. .
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Laurie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply

I have the top information from Donaghmore Church which was in their records, however a little unclear as they do waffle on, however I am interested in the latin verse in the latter part of your reply. Is this to do with my Johnston's?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
JACOBUS JOHNSTON filius natu maximus Josephi de Knappagh comitatu de Armagh would be, wouldn't he??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:09 BST (UK) »

1707, June 23. — James Johnston was ordained by the Presbytery of Armagh as the first minister of the
congregation. This Presbytery reported to Ministers of the General Synod of 1705 that they had Licensed Mr. James Johson ' (Johnston) to preach the Gospel.

James Johnston built Traymont (Tremont) House, and gave the site for the original church edifice. He purchased the townland of Lisserboy, in the parish of Newry, bordering that of Donaghmore, where he (and his son James) gave the site for the present church in 1702, which was erected during his pastorate. The lease, renewable for ever, was made to twelve trustees and reserved the family pew for the Johnstons
and their heirs.

James Johnston was evidently a man of much influence in the community, a devoted Presbyterian, and a faithful minister of the Gospel. The Presbyterians of Donaghmore will do well to revere the memory of the good man who did so much for their church in this place. He appears to have been a constant attendant at the General Synod, until by age and infirmity he was precluded from taking part in the supreme court of his church.

He appeared at Synod for the first time in June 1708, and the last record of his presence was in 1786.

* James Johnson's ' name appears in ' a list of the Presbyterian ministers to whom her Majestie's Royal
Bounty is to be paid for Xmass quarter 1712.* He was fifty-nine years minister of the Donaghmore
congregation. He died October 21, 1765, aged eighty-seven years, and was buried in the parish church-
yard, where his tomb remains ; but the stone is so broken and defaced that it is impossible to decipher
the inscription. We are indebted to Colonel Johnston (of Kilmore, co. Armagh), a descendant, for the
following particulars of the family :

James Johnston, Presbyterian Minister of Donaghmore, of Tremont, co. Down, and Carrickbreda,
CO. Armagh, was son of James Johnston of Knappagh, Carrickbreda and Dress, co. Armagh, by Sarah Dobbs, his wife. He was born about 1678, married (before 1772) Elizabeth, sister of Francis Wilson of Tully, CO. Longford.

He left two children : James, of Tremont, and Joseph, M.D., who was grandfather of Captain Robert Dudgeon Johnston, 66th, 7th, and 68th Regiments, who served in the Peninsular War.

James Johnston of Tremont (son of Rev. James Johnston) married his cousin, Elizabeth, daughter of
Francis Wilson of Tully, co. Longford, and had three children, James (his heir), the Rev. Francis Johnston,
Vicar of Donaghmore, and Eleanor (married, 1768, William Hawkshaw of Divernagh, CO. Armagh, and had a son, Lieut.-Colonel Hawkshaw, 31st Regt., whose son, the Rev. Edward Burdett Hawkshaw, Prebendary of Hereford, married, 1845, Catherine Mary Jane, daughter of Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, 7th Bart., and was father of Major Edward Crichton Hawkshaw, R.A.).

The elder son of James Johnston of Tremont (above mentioned) was James Johnston of Tremont and Carrickbreda, who married Anne Pyne, and had issue, viz. James, Arthur, John, Joseph and two daughters.

.... and they all lived happily ever after!!!  :-))

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
Johnston. — This tomb is a large sarcophagus with flat stone, partly broken and the letters defaced, but
the following can be made out : '

Maria Anabella Johnston, wife of James Johnston, of Tremont. Died XXII December, mdccxxxii. Aged lxxi years.
Here lieth the Body of Mrs. Elizabeth Johnston, also of James Johnston, of Tremont Esq., who died
December xxii, mdcclxxxii, Aged lxiv years.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
The Rev. Francis Johnston, Vicar of Donaghmore (1775-89), seems to have held the nine townlands, which then constituted the manor, under the Primate; for by 'marriage articles ' (in his will, proved June 25, 1789) he charged several townlands of the manor (and a townland in County Armagh) with £1,600
for his younger children.
The Glebe house (an old-fashioned structure of three stories, the under story a basement with
kitchens and pantries) was built during the last year of Francis Johnston's incumbency. In his will (1789)
he specifies certain monies due him in respect to the erection of the house — namely that he was ' entitled to £250 for so much of the cost of building the Glebe House as his successor was to pay.'

1775. — July 19, Francis Johnston was collated per mortem Thomas Sacheverell. He appears at Visitation,
August 15, 1775. A * Francis Johnston ' was Scholar (T.C.D.), 1735, and B.A., 1736. Francis Johnston
(younger son of James Johnston of Tremont and Carrickbreda, and grandson of the first Presbyterian
minister of Donaghmore) married (Settlements dated December 17, 1780) Anne, daughter of John Martley of Bally fallon, co. Meath, by Clementina his wife, daughter of the Rev. Robert Meares, Rector of Almoritia,
third son of Lewis Meares of Meares Court, co. Westmeath.

Francis Johnston had a son James and daughters Clemena and Eleanora, who married in 1831 Hubert Kelly Waldron, J.P., D.L., of Drumena, CO. Leitrim, and Ashfort, co. Roscommon (High Sheriff, co. Leitrim, 1832), and had a son — Captain Hubert Kelly James John Johnston Waldron, 31st Regiment. Francis Johnston's will, dated April 25, 1789, was proved June 27 of the same year. He died June 13, 1789.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
I trust that  clarifies data that you have on your relatives from Newry & Donaghmore!!

Offline Laurie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark for your replies I have learned one or two things.

If you are bored ;D perhaps you may give me your slant ( in English ) the Genealogy of James of Tremont.

I am wondering if I have either missed a James or added one in this period, as dates on a written family tree ( which I take with a very heavy pound of salt ) do not add up to this written version which I have seen several times.

I know the latter part of the written statement is incorrect as Arthur Johnston married Ann Pyne.

Your help has been appreciated.
Thanks