Author Topic: John McLusky Cullen (b1867 Cambusnethan) - Dec. of Paternity 1869  (Read 6119 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John McLusky Cullen (b1867 Cambusnethan) - Dec. of Paternity 1869
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 July 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
Anne Marie, John McLusky Cullen sounds like a tricky character for sure  :-\ Agree with your comments and thoughts. We can't blame gg mother can we if she then decided, with unfolding events, to take some action to protect at least John Jnr. and his paternity.

Will leave Lodger to advise on next steps re poor relief apps etc...  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 July 15 01:41 BST (UK) »
Anne Marie, John McLusky Cullen sounds like a tricky character for sure  :-\ Agree with your comments and thoughts. We can't blame gg mother can we if she then decided, with unfolding events, to take some action to protect at least John Jnr. and his paternity.

Will leave Lodger to advise on next steps re poor relief apps etc...  ;)

Monica

Monica,

You have both got me more curious than I was  ;D ;D ;D
I'd hate to think he wasn't my g grandmother's father as I thought with her being McCluskey all her life on everything (11 kids births) that it was a foregone conclusion.

What's perked my interest again is the fact that to this day I can't find a marriage, death or emigration for John Jr.

Will be interesting what Lodger can tell me......we will soon find out  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
OK, here's a poor relief claim for Rose Ann, she is claiming with 2 illegitimate children but, if anything, it makes it even more confusing.

Parish of Cambusnethan poor relief claim. Claim made at 6pm on 26th December 1867 by
ROSE ANN CULLEN, 139 1/2 Stewarton Street, Wishaw.
Birthplace - Ireland.
Condition - Single.
Age - 23 years.
Occupation - Housekeeper. (She "keeps house" in other words).
Religion - Roman Catholic.
Disabled - due to having 2 illegitimate children.
Child 1. Rose Ann Cullen, born Wishaw, aged 3 years.
Child 2. John McLuskey Cullen, born Wishaw, aged 6 weeks.

Her parents - Peter Cullen & Rosa Flannigan both dead.
residences -
Present - 3 years.
Prior - Pather Street 4 years.
Prior - Cockhill 3 years.
Prior - Cambusnethan (village) 4 years.

Putative father of Rose Ann Cullen - John McLusky. (Dead).
Putative father of John McLusky Cullen - John McLusky, a miner, in England.

1st application December 26th. Relieved 1/6d. cont. Offered poorhouse.
4th February 1868. 3rd March 1868.

---------------------------------

The parish inspector must have been as green as the grass! Unless there really were 2 guys named John McLuskey and the 1st one conveniently died?
I don't know the significance of the 2 dates at the end, possibly dates of entering and leaving the poorhouse?
1/6d = 7.5 new pence today. 
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
OK, here's a poor relief claim for Rose Ann, she is claiming with 2 illegitimate children but, if anything, it makes it even more confusing.

Parish of Cambusnethan poor relief claim. Claim made at 6pm on 26th December 1867 by
ROSE ANN CULLEN, 139 1/2 Stewarton Street, Wishaw.
Birthplace - Ireland.
Condition - Single.
Age - 23 years.
Occupation - Housekeeper. (She "keeps house" in other words).
Religion - Roman Catholic.
Disabled - due to having 2 illegitimate children.
Child 1. Rose Ann Cullen, born Wishaw, aged 3 years.
Child 2. John McLuskey Cullen, born Wishaw, aged 6 weeks.

Her parents - Peter Cullen & Rosa Flannigan both dead.
residences -
Present - 3 years.
Prior - Pather Street 4 years.
Prior - Cockhill 3 years.
Prior - Cambusnethan (village) 4 years.

1st application December 26th. Relieved 1/6d. cont. Offered poorhouse.
4th February 1868. 3rd March 1868.

---------------------------------

The parish inspector must have been as green as the grass! Unless there really were 2 guys named John McLuskey and the 1st one conveniently died?
I don't know the significance of the 2 dates at the end, possibly dates of entering and leaving the poorhouse?
1/6d = 7.5 new pence today.

;D  :o  ::) Interesting Lodger & thanks very much as the poor relief claim is shortly after John's birth............yet the amendment to his birth cert. re paternity not until just over a yr later  ???

Don't think it was wise to name the fathers both with same name  ???

As for the Parish Inspector......did you get his name  ???  ;D Hope not a McCluskey too  ???  ;D ;D

This has to be the same person surely but not sure what should be on my tree.....................It's already falling over with Rose Ann's on all the branches on 1 side so all these John McCluskeys (of various spellings) are going to make it topple  ;D

Anne Marie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* John McLusky Cullen (b1867 Cambusnethan) - Dec. of Paternity 1869
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:47 BST (UK) »

You know I don't blame her for saying he was dead (probably wished he was) as her daughter's name was a poignant reminder that John abandoned her for her cousin Rose Ann  :'(
That John McCluskey was also a miner but in Scotland  ???

Annie

Offline kevincul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 August 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi  my  2ND great grand aunt was rose Anne Cullen born abt 1844 father peter abt 1811 died approx 1865.she was staying with sister and brother law in 1861 aged 17 along with niece rose Anne Cain aged seven have a birth cert saying had a daughter Roseann born 1865 which would make her approx 23 years old had a illegitimate  child who was still staying with her aunt in 1871 aged 5 and brother aged 3  but on census states name as mcclasky(Not Cullen) .have a marriage cert 1888 stating age 22 for rose Ann McCluskey(Cullen) married Angus mckinnon mother rose Ann Cullen(McCluskey) father john mcCluskey Living.

There a Marriage certificate for rose Ann Cain dated 2ND November 1871 marrying a john McCluskey if  that make sense
STIRLINGSHIRE MCTAIG,NICOL,BRADY,
LANARKSHIRE,CULLEN,CAIN,MCCLUSKEY
IRELAND, CULLEN

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 August 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
my  2ND great grand aunt was rose Anne Cullen born abt 1844 father peter abt 1811 died approx 1865.she was staying with sister and brother law in 1861 aged 17 along with niece rose Anne Cain aged seven have a birth cert saying had a daughter Roseann born 1865 which would make her approx 23 years old had a illegitimate  child who was still staying with her aunt in 1871 aged 5 and brother aged 3  but on census states name as mcclasky(Not Cullen) .have a marriage cert 1888 stating age 22 for rose Ann McCluskey(Cullen) married Angus mckinnon mother rose Ann Cullen(McCluskey) father john mcCluskey Living.

There a Marriage certificate for rose Ann Cain dated 2ND November 1871 marrying a john McCluskey if  that make sense

Hi Kevin,

We have been in contact by email a lot of yrs ago.

In the early days of my research, I struggled with the Rose Ann Cain (1871) marriage, simply thinking it was a mistake with the name Cain instead of Cullen as they had all been living in the same household & Rose Ann Cain was 10 yrs younger than her aunt Rose Ann Cullen (mother of my g g/mother Rose Ann McCluskey (although born Cullen).

Rose Ann was McCluskey when she married my g g/father Angus with parent's John McCluskey & Rose Ann (maiden name Cullen).

She was McCluskey on all the kids birth certs & never used her birth surname of Cullen  ::) It took me a long time to discover she was a Cullen & not McCluskey.

It was only when I found the death for Rose Ann McCluskey (nee Cain) & what a shock  :o

However, Rose Ann Cullen (my g g/mother) was born Xmas Day 1864. That took a long time to find as I had been looking for McCluskey which is on every document I have with no mention of her being Cullen & as you know, McCluskey on census  ???

Would like to know what happened to John McLusky Cullen (which is exactly what's on his birth cert)

Annie

Offline kevincul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 August 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi yes would like to know also still trying to find out still where in ireland they came from but still only 5 years trying also going to motherwell in next few weeks to get death certificate for peter Cullen according to the registrar office john mccluskey registered his death think Sept 1867

thanks again
LANARKSHIRE,CULLEN,CAIN,MCCLUSKEY
IRELAND, CULLEN

Offline kevincul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 August 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
do you have roseann cullen birth cert as i have