Author Topic: Engine Fitter  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Fitter
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I have obviously got the wrong man in the 1911 census.
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 July 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Caulker was responsible for the watertightness of joints between plates usually rivetted  (Caulk is jointing compound - as the sell in B&Q or Wickes as Decorators Caulk (mastic gun)

An engine fitter is a trained mechanic who would be employed ongoing in areas where engines were used eg pumps, railways, ships, motor vehicles, cranes etc. It would not necessarily mean that the person originally installed the equipment.

Boilermaker was a skilled trade engineer / craft

Stockton was a great railway place. The first railway journey was from Stockton to Darlington if I recall correctly
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline hill.bonnie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 May 19 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am new to RootsChat. I found this thread by searching for Engine Fitter, which was listed as the occupation for my great grandfather John Hill on his marriage record in 1863.His parents were James Hill and Margaret McAuley.He was born in 1832 and married Jessie Grant in Stockton on Tees.

Family legend has it that he was a Sea Captain, but I have found no evidence of that. We have a "Captain's Desk Box" engraved with the following...John Hill CE, Calcutta, India 1874.
His first three children's births are recorded in different port cities, including Calcutta, suggesting his wife traveled with him. We wonder if he was a ship's engineer, and not a captain. We have a "boatload" of engineers in our family.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bonnie