Author Topic: Ships passenger lists to Australia 1889  (Read 9609 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Ships passenger lists to Australia 1889
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
I guess you will be looking for Robert A Boyd and Fanny Boyd returning from NSW (and of course Charles JACKSON and his mum too) .... so may I mention that there's scant info on departures....

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-45  "outward passenger lists were not regularly maintained until 1898."   

Best to look at UK inward passenger lists.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
18 year old Margt BOYD and Fanny BOYD 55 years old on Ticket 106, while on ticket 105 there’s Robert A BOYD 55, and Robert A BOYD 17, arriving  Sydney  abt 25 March 1886 on the Liguria ex London.    :)

Cheers,  JM

Margaret's mother Frances BOYD died 20 September 1899, Armagh district aged 67 yrs. Looks as if the parents, at least, returned to Ireland before 1899. Margaret's father Robert. A died 1902 Armagh, Ireland.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
Re 35 Church Street NEWTOWN

Sands Directories 1892 Suburban Streets (entries close October 1891)
Newtown
Church Street  east side  (King to Reserve Street )
I will type up from 31 to 37

Mrs Taylor, midwife
S A Harrison

Then the cross street, Victoria Street

Thomas W BALL

35 G H GOMMESON,  undertaker

Moorefield Racing Club

Cheers,  JM

Looks like that would be George GOMMESON's private residence at 35 Church St Newtown, as the offices of the Undertaker were on King St, as per many hundreds of newspaper announcements for funerals across a number of decades in the late 19th century....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:47 BST (UK) »
I guess you will be looking for Robert A Boyd and Fanny Boyd returning from NSW (and of course Charles JACKSON and his mum too) .... so may I mention that there's scant info on departures....

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-45  "outward passenger lists were not regularly maintained until 1898."   

Best to look at UK inward passenger lists.

Cheers,  JM

I was just thinking about their return. Thank you for the advice regarding the UK inward passenger lists.

I am so pleased you found the family going to Australia.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 July 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Re 35 Church Street NEWTOWN

Sands Directories 1892 Suburban Streets (entries close October 1891)
Newtown
Church Street  east side  (King to Reserve Street )
I will type up from 31 to 37

Mrs Taylor, midwife
S A Harrison

Then the cross street, Victoria Street

Thomas W BALL

35 G H GOMMESON,  undertaker

Moorefield Racing Club

Cheers,  JM

Looks like that would be George GOMMESON's private residence at 35 Church St Newtown, as the offices of the Undertaker were on King St, as per many hundreds of newspaper announcements for funerals across a number of decades in the late 19th century....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM

Do you think Margaret may have been a lodger at No 35?

cupcake

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 July 15 09:05 BST (UK) »

Was it likely that Margaret was already a nurse at age 18?  Trained overseas before coming to NSW?

Perhaps, if asked to speculate I would suggest that Charles mum, the nurse, was able to work through much of her pregnancy by assisting the undertaker in preparing the deceased for their funerals.  I am quite sure she would not have been allowed on any ward of any hospital once the other nurses became aware of her circumstances.  Matrons had very strict rules, and gossip spreads very fast.   However, if as it seems her parents had perhaps returned to Ireland, she would have needed to find work to feed and clothe herself and Charles.   

Did you notice that Mrs Taylor (nurse/midwife) was at No. 31 ?   

Add
Many times, on NSW BDM birth registrations in that era, the (3) position on the births is taken up with the Midwife's assistant.   This is very often a family member, eg mother, sister, aunt to the babe's mum.    It seems to me that Margaret was not with her family for that birth.  This  is of course speculative.

Cheers,  JM

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 July 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
Margaret's brother Louis Patrick BOYD b.1865 Ireland and died in NSW 1922 . He possibly went to Australia before his parents,  brother and sister.

10187/1922    BOYD   LOUIS P   ROBERT A   FRANCES   HURSTVILLE

Haven't found his marriage as yet. His wife was Anne ??

Margaret's younger brother Robert Alexander BOYD b.1870 m. Rose G MURRAY will check for his marriage in Ireland, first.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 July 15 09:26 BST (UK) »

Was it likely that Margaret was already a nurse at age 18?  Trained overseas before coming to NSW?

Perhaps, if asked to speculate I would suggest that Charles mum, the nurse, was able to work through much of her pregnancy by assisting the undertaker in preparing the deceased for their funerals.  I am quite sure she would not have been allowed on any ward of any hospital once the other nurses became aware of her circumstances.  Matrons had very strict rules, and gossip spreads very fast.   However, if as it seems her parents had perhaps returned to Ireland, she would have needed to find work to feed and clothe herself and Charles.   

Did you notice that Mrs Taylor (nurse/midwife) was at No. 31 ?   

Add
Many times, on NSW BDM birth registrations in that era, the (3) position on the births is taken up with the Midwife's assistant.   This is very often a family member, eg mother, sister, aunt to the babe's mum.    It seems to me that Margaret was not with her family for that birth.  This  is of course speculative.

Cheers,  JM

She may well have trained as a Nurse before going to NSW.

Yes, I did notice Mrs Taylor (nurse/midwife) was at No. 31 ?   

It does appear Margaret was not with her parents but, as you say it is speculative.

There is the possibility the family went to visit Louis Patrick BOYD (Margaret's brother) again speculative.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 July 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Margaret's brother Louis Patrick BOYD b.1865 Ireland and died in NSW 1922 . He possibly went to Australia before his parents,  brother and sister.

10187/1922    BOYD   LOUIS P   ROBERT A   FRANCES   HURSTVILLE

Haven't found his marriage as yet. His wife was Anne ??

Margaret's younger brother Robert Alexander BOYD b.1870 m. Rose G MURRAY will check for his marriage in Ireland, first.

cupcake

Robert Alexander BOYD married Rose. G. MURRAY in Kingston Middlesex 1900. Reg. 2a 784 a year after his mother Frances died 1899 and 2 years before his father Robert A died in 1902

So, he definitely returned to the UK, possibly, with his parents? When ??? 

Wonder if Margaret returned to Ireland, before her parents passed away.

cupcake