Author Topic: granma's Bloch /Black cousins  (Read 4153 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
granma's Bloch /Black cousins
« on: Sunday 05 July 15 23:25 BST (UK) »
Any idea how i can find out what became of my grandma's cousins after 1911

Am looking for children of Benjamin Bloch   + Rebecca nee Fellman  both born late 1860's  Russia
they married in manchester in 1896
the children  from 1911 cencus Dundee were ;geiss-eida aged 13
 Dina   11yrs
sarah aged 9
Esther 8
Minnie 8
Barnet 2
Rosie 1

their eldest son Elias should be aged 12 but is not with them ....I didn't find a record of his death so he could be elsewhere

Haven't found records of any marriages
I know Rebecca (+Benjamin )Bloch were  living in  Glasgow in 1920 as listed as next of kin on my ggfather's hospital records .
Benjamin Bloch died aged 75 in 1944 in Glasgow + Rebecca lived til 1960 aged 88

I hope their children lived long too  and wonder if any also emigrated to USA .

Any help on this one greatly appreciated ;I doubt if they  angliscised their names to Black as Rebecca's death records maintained the Bloch spelling but her mother's name is given as "Edith"  russian records has her as Geis-Ada so maybe Rebecca's eldest daughter also reverted to a more British sounding 1st name  .

i have a board on USA site re the Fellman cousins   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702215.msg5519415#msg5519415
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: granma's Bloch /Black cousins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 15 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi brigidmac,

Only time for a quick look, but it seems Elias became a doctor, graduating from the University of Glasgow in 1925.  From the medical directories:

Elias Bloch, 25 Battlefield Ave, Langside, Glasgow, Date & Place of Registration: 20 Oct 1925 S, MB, CH B; 1928 DPH University of Glasgow

Obituary here:
•  [PDF]OBITUARY
europepmc.org/articles/PMC1341897/pdf/bmjcred00259-0061.pdf

ADDED: Scotlands People have Elias' 1986 death record.  It will have to be sent for as it's to recent to be downloaded directly

brigau

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much ;
I've also just found him + Edith Bloch both got  2 year stipenderies at Harris acadamy Dundee .for 6th + 7th class
the address given is William St same as on 1911 census  so  I can also see that although she was Geiss-Ada (or Goose-eida on 1901 census) she went by the name of Edith at least for school

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 15 02:37 BST (UK) »
also found a marriage + death for Dinah Emily Bloch
married Abraham Levy 1923 from Battlefield Av address
She died 1983 aged 84 in Glasgow listed as Martha st but i have a feeling that it is the name of the area not just a street .
 1986 death for elias Bloch also listed as "martha st" on Scotlands people site

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
abraham Levy is cited as brother in law in Elias Bloch obitury ; wives + children not mentioned I don't know if this means Elias did not marry ,.

abraham levy  aged 33 married Dinah Emily Bloch aged 23 in 1923

Edith Bloch married Montague Harris in 1921 but he died the same year

She must have married someone called Gompertz as she is on a boat to USA aged 44 in 1943 with twins aged 10 visiting her aunt M. Ginsberg  who is 1 of my nana's  Russian /American aunts

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, Martha Street, was the address of the Registrar for births, marriages and deaths in the central area of Glasgow.

Istrice

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
    That's right.     I used to go there, but last time I went I saw a notice on the door saying that it had closed.      It gave directions to go down the hill at John Street, cross over George Street and the building on the right is where the registry offices now are.    Martha Street was a bit old-fashioned.

It has all been modernized now.     When your name is called you go to a booth where someone is sitting beside a computer.      (There are lots of these booths).     You sit there giving information and they do the look-up on the computer there and then as you watch.     It means that if there is a problem tracing, for instance, an old certificate, they can ask you for more information right away.   

Previously, at Martha St, you would be called to a counter to give the information for the certificate you wanted, and the clerk would then disappear for five minutes and eventually return.      It is probably more efficient and speedier the way it is now.

Martha Street was up the hill from George Square, right in the centre of Glasgow.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information . I'm doing all my research via computer ..it's too far for me to travel to Scotland !

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
If I'm not mistaken, Martha Street was the address of the Registrar for births, marriages and deaths in the central area of Glasgow.

Yes.

Interestingly, however, Martha Street isn't listed as a RD in the GROS Guide for Researchers No 2 Index to Registration Districts published in December 1985. So it must have been used as an alternative name for one or more of the central Glasgow RDs.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.