Author Topic: Irish traveller surnames  (Read 138539 times)

Offline N J Walsh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Irish traveller surnames
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, several Walsh (sometimes listed Welsh or Welch). My own were travelling musicians, tinsmiths and sweeps from the north of Ireland.

Offline m365

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 02 January 21 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the reply very interesting so quite a lot of Tinkers must have lived in one place. The date I have for the marriage is 1868  showing him as father of groom  he is not on the census returns for 1901/11. His son Martin Purcell is the one who’s marriage I have but he came to England with his wife Mary and one daughter Annie the rest of his children including his son James (my gt grandfather) were born in England. All had labouring jobs except one who was a cobbler.
Thank for your interest

Have you got a name for michael's wife?

Offline m365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 02 January 21 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the 1901 or 1911 census as Ward is a common Traveller surname around galway and the west of Ireland.

Offline carolynb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 04 January 21 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Re Michael Purcell
I have not got a name for his wife the only other family member I have is his son Martin I do have an address of Windmill Lane New Ross Co Wexford . This is from griffiths valuation which I think was 1854 but I may be wrong with the date .Carolyn
Hill,Griffiths,Davison,Hewitt,Foulkes, Flintshire
Hill, Assal,Thomas Cheshire/Flintshire
Brennan Queens county (Laois)
Hynnes Galway
Flood  Wicklow/Lancashire     Geogehan/Gahan Wicklow to Lancashire
Currie Monaghan/Scotland
Behan Kings and Kildare
Purcell Wexford/ co kilkenny
Hunt Wexford
Hoey Louth
Kean Ireland
Flannagan Kings County Offley
Leather Lancashire
Woodward Lancashire
Thomas Lancashire
Garnett lancashire
Haselden Lancashire
Singleton Lancashire

Offline Drea222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 27 February 21 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all!

Is Joseph by any chance a traveller surname. My mother is from Ulster, Northern Ireland and we are trying to figure out what her family background is as she doesn’t know.

Thanks in advance

Offline maryniamh1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 22:14 GMT (UK) »
hey does anyone know is Clayton a Romani or Irish traveller last name?

Offline Maryjanna Todd-Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 23 March 23 16:01 GMT (UK) »
My gran came from Waterford, her last name was Rafferty

I have an Irish ancestor who came from Waterford too whom I suspect may have been a Mincéir, but he kind of vanished in the 1920's somewhere in either around the Canadian border to New York or New Jersey. His surname is Marks, which I have seen on lists as a known Traveller surname.

Here is a compiled list of known surnames for Travellers & Romani families, which unfortunately includes a lot of very generic names that many gadje families have: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/celtic-traveller/about/background

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 23 March 23 16:06 GMT (UK) »
A Pav (Pavee) is an Irish Gypsy.

How does one 'become' a Gypsy / Traveler? Depends on ones personal definition. Could vary from being directly descended from people who came out of India, a very long time ago.

Or, one could ~ last I knew ~ for example; Claim 'Gypsyship Under Statute'. There being a UK statute which defines what a Gypsy is. Basically, one who lives a normally nomadic existence and earns their living that way.

Can of worms there .....  :-X

This is tricky, which is why I always specify Traveller vs Romani because the term G*psy is used by some Travellers to describe themselves, including my Nawken family, but since that term was originally created to describe Roma, I do not apply it to Travellers to avoid this exact confusion.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 23 March 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was a Ward and she has proved difficult to find on a paper trail. She married a Power which isn't a traveller name and he was ok to find.
I get the impression that travellers arnt that fussed about documention. But oh how difficult when trying to build a family tree no birth certificate. How hum one day maybe. ☺

Travellers are infamous for their poor documentation. Typically they appear on documents for births, baptisms, marriages, and deaths, but it gets confusing because they might intentionally obscure where they are from by changing birth places, dates, and names on different documents. My g. grandmother had one birth name that was the same as her mother's but then later, her name changed and that was the name she went by for the rest of her life. That seems like a common practice, which can make them incredibly difficult to track and verify.