Author Topic: Irish traveller surnames  (Read 136916 times)

Offline Lady_Clark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish traveller surnames
« on: Monday 06 July 15 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if Clark or Stokes is a Is a traveller surname?? Or is it a Romany Surname?

Thank you!

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Irish traveller surnames
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. Ac. Welcome. As I see it's your first visit. I know of stokes in traveller circles.  Trouble is. There are no real generic Romany names. In my family in one name there are five complete different spellings. As most were illiterate. Surnames were often. Altered. Also. Gorgio men. marrying a Romany woman often did/ do take her name. There are very old gypsy family names. Which can be traced back to 1600s. I.e. Lee. Smith's. Boswell. It goes on.These can be found on. A variety of sites. But try looking at those marrying into your family. And if they match up?. Also occupation. I.e horse. Dealers hawkers. Tinsmith. Pottery dealers. Etc. You may be surprised at how many people have a Romany connection. Romany genes is a good start site. But there are lots. Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
AC; Fatal. Every time I'm at a loose enough end to blow through here, I get snagged. Shouldn't complain. It gives me something to do. Normally reaching for " The Book Of Bob " ~ now more a dirty and loose pile of grubby pages I keep on the shelf. Here goes, look;

Result! Clark(e) is a well known Gypsy surname, stretching back to the beginnings. We all know that. Irish though? Dunno.

Tell ye what I do know though; Plenty of english Gypsys came over here. In fact, there was a traditional stopping place they used, five miles from here. Up on the north east side of the town. The Irish had their place south of town. Couple or so miles away.

Here's the bit though; Bob records that Stoke(s) is indeed a surname found among Gypsys. And that it's been recorded in Ireland!

So, there's something for ye to get ye teeth into: Are ye dealing with " Irish Travellers "? Or English ones who popped over here ....?

Look at Rob's signature. Bit of Irish influence in there, look. My own people were back and forth too.

I'd be fascinated to, at least, look on as this whole area is probed a bit more. I think it needs probing  8)

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Lady_Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
Irish Travellers and English ones. thanks. I was Wondering if anyone could tell me that if Clark is a Gypsy surname? Because my granny her last name is Stokes and her mother Hattie told her that she has some Gypsy origins.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Irish Travellers and English ones. thanks. I was Wondering if anyone could tell me that if Clark is a Gypsy surname? Because my granny her last name is Stokes and her mother Hattie told her that she has some Gypsy origins.

When there's a story that someone has Gypsy ancestors it's often true but may not always be the line one expects.

I'd start by tracing Hattie's line back and see what you find.

Have a look at the Romany and Traveller Family History Society site http://rtfhs.org.uk/research_guide/ for some tips and try and read the SOG publication "My Ancestors were Gypsies by Sharon Sillers Floate" for more help.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
My gran came from Waterford, her last name was Rafferty
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline Kathlee Ward

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi yes stokes is a very well known Irish surname especially for Irish travelers  :)

Offline Hibiscus1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spiers surnames
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I found your name attached to a tree of Christine Lynnette Creamore but it was put on in 2013, so though I would try you.
Do you know this person. As she might be the person I need to contact.

Regards
Margaret Stevens

Offline Warren Glennie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, does  anyone know of the name Seekin in the traveller communities, this one in the English sides.
Thanks Warren  :o