Author Topic: Irish traveller surnames  (Read 139351 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Irish traveller surnames
« Reply #45 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh, and, sorry: " is that when they became travelers? "

No. The dates Bob gives are just when he found an official record (Census or what ever) of a person declaring themselves Gypsys (or, perhaps, being found living in a tent or wagon) and proffering the given name.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
A Pav (Pavee) is an Irish Gypsy.

How does one 'become' a Gypsy / Traveler? Depends on ones personal definition. Could vary from being directly descended from people who came out of India, a very long time ago.

Or, one could ~ last I knew ~ for example; Claim 'Gypsyship Under Statute'. There being a UK statute which defines what a Gypsy is. Basically, one who lives a normally nomadic existence and earns their living that way.

Can of worms there .....  :-X

Well they don’t tell you all that on my big fat gypsy wedding!

So to become an Irish gypsy you had to lose your home and job & be nomadic, live by own means and camp? 

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:57 GMT (UK) »
So to become an Irish gypsy you had to lose your home and job & be nomadic, live by own means and camp?

I've never watched that (Said to be) appalling programme. I did hear it said, though, that it pretty much Only featured Pav's.

I must say; Your idea of how one would become a Pav actually sounds just about spot on!  :D I mean; I actually have virtually nothing to do with them, despite living here. But, they do have a completely different culture and even language.

The Irish govt. recently granted them " Ethnic " status, however. Under law then they are now considered distinct from 'normal', Irish people.

But, yeah, from what little I've ever gathered about them? It does seem reasonably well accepted that they are the descendants of Irish people, displaced (Some say by Cromwell) and who wandered ever since.

Doesn't take a genius, of course, to spot the anomaly there. But, I'm a grateful guest in this country and I'm not about to start second guessing the laws.

Don't want YouTube video's appearing, either; some hardy buck in a white vest, calling me out and saying he's steeped his hands in pitril!  ;D
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Puffin81

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 January 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »

I've never watched that (Said to be) appalling programme. I did hear it said, though, that it pretty much Only featured Pav's.

I must say; Your idea of how one would become a Pav actually sounds just about spot on!  :D I mean; I actually have virtually nothing to do with them, despite living here. But, they do have a completely different culture and even language.

The Irish govt. recently granted them " Ethnic " status, however. Under law then they are now considered distinct from 'normal', Irish people.

But, yeah, from what little I've ever gathered about them? It does seem reasonably well accepted that they are the descendants of Irish people, displaced (Some say by Cromwell) and who wandered ever since.

Doesn't take a genius, of course, to spot the anomaly there. But, I'm a grateful guest in this country and I'm not about to start second guessing the laws.

Don't want YouTube video's appearing, either; some hardy buck in a white vest, calling me out and saying he's steeped his hands in pitril!  ;D

Disclaimer - I only watch the wedding programme as they film a quite bit where I live.

I’d imagine there are a lot of gypsies created in Ireland due to all the poverty and troubles in the 1800s, I think it’s estimated around half the population left for either mainland England or the USA

Offline hushiebaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, My Mother - in - Law asked me to look into her family history, especially the story that her Gt, Gt Grandfather met her Grandmother when he came over to Appleby Fair and that he was an Irish Traveller. I dont really know how to find out if this is true. I can certainly verify that he was Irish the census' has him born abt 1830 Banbridge, County Down. His name was Richard McCullough. Any help would be gratefully received

Offline Shamrocks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 24 June 19 18:04 BST (UK) »
Family oral tradition says we have a John Joseph WARD possibly from Galway. 2 sons born circa 1860's, County Donegal,  Robert Thomas Ward and James Alexander Ward . Is WARD a tinkers name?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 24 June 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
Ward is a common surname among Irish travellers.

Offline dorcus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 23 September 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
My gr grandparents travelled around in caravans just wondering if there name Batty had any connection.
Thanks for reading.
stather baxendale,france harrison lofthouse,green

wigan ince hindley north and south caves barnsley

Online Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 20:24 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was a Ward and she has proved difficult to find on a paper trail. She married a Power which isn't a traveller name and he was ok to find.
I get the impression that travellers arnt that fussed about documention. But oh how difficult when trying to build a family tree no birth certificate. How hum one day maybe. ☺
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland