Author Topic: Richard William STRINGER - what became of him after WW1?  (Read 10245 times)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Richard William STRINGER - what became of him after WW1?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
Could this be the son?
The Argus 29Jan 1947 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22405187
DEATHS
On Active Service
STRINGER. - 419679. Flight-Sgt. Leonard William, previously reported missing, now presumed to have lost his life at Manokwari on April 28, 1944. -A tribute from the staff of Munitions Supply Laboratories, Maribyrnong.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
Could this be the son?
The Argus 29Jan 1947 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22405187
DEATHS
On Active Service
STRINGER. - 419679. Flight-Sgt. Leonard William, previously reported missing, now presumed to have lost his life at Manokwari on April 28, 1944. -A tribute from the staff of Munitions Supply Laboratories, Maribyrnong.

I think so.
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=R&veteranId=1017904

The family had this spelling for him perhaps and the staff of the above Laboratories used another.

M Stringer, NOK was perhaps Myrtle.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
www.naa.gov.au
STRINGER, Lenard William - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 419679; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Catalina A24-49; Place - Vogelkop, Dutch New Guinea; Date - 28 April 1944
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1078767
STRINGER LENARD WILLIAM : Service Number - 419679 : Date of birth - 15 Sep 1923 : Place of birth - ALPHINGTON VIC : Place of enlistment - MELBOURNE : Next of Kin - STRINGER M.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=5539506

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
OK, sad Lenard didn't survive WW2 when his father managed to get through WW1. Thank goodness he died after his father! I've sent a text to my uncle.
RULE - Cornwall,  SMITHAM, Smitheram (and variations of spelling) - Cornwall,
Elizabeth Jane HARRIS - Kapunda,South Aust/Wentworth,NSW/Mildura,Vic & HARRIS in Kalgoolie/Coolgardie region - West Aust., Thomas KNIGHT - BURRA, GILLESPIE

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
The Argus 25Jan1947 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/22404470
STRINGER.-419679 Flight-Sergeant Lenard William, previously reported missing, now
presumed to have lost his life at Manokuari on April 28, 1944, beloved son of Myrtle and the late R. W. (Bill), dearly loved brother of Betty and Nancy. -For ever in our hearts.(97 Robert street, Northcote.)
STRINGER. - Fllght-Sergt. Len  Stringer R.A.A.F.. previously reported missing April 28, 1944. now presumed dead, dearly loved nephew of A. and D. Morgan (Essendon), and cousin of Mill, Bob, and Alan.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fmu/

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cup-of-Life, My uncle has replied and after all of that research by you and others he says the Stringer who worked for them in the early 1940s was a 'Keith Stringer'. I can't see any close relationship to RW Stringer so it may have been coincidental that they share the same surname.

I appreciate you time! EB
Elizabeth Jane HARRIS - Kapunda,South Aust/Wentworth,NSW/Mildura,Vic & HARRIS in Kalgoolie/Coolgardie region - West Aust., Thomas KNIGHT - BURRA, GILLESPIE

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cup-of-Life, My uncle has replied and after all of that research by you and others he says the Stringer who worked for them in the early 1940s was a 'Keith Stringer'. I can't see any close relationship to RW Stringer so it may have been coincidental that they share the same surname.

I appreciate you time! EB

I am a bit  ??? ??? here.
Is your query about Richard William STRINGER and his life-
OR
the identity of the itinerant worker Keith STRINGER??
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 July 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry Sparrett, Yes my last post was a bit ambiguous. I realised after I sent the post it sounded like the research had been done in vain when in fact that was not the case. The information about RW Stringer is all very useful and my family will be pleased to hear about what became of the chap who spent a moment in time with my grandfather as they battled for their lives in 1918. I'm still to find out what RW did for a living when he returned home. The NA records show he'd received injuries during the war so it would be interesting to know if he was able to return to work? My grandfather destroyed a lot of photos records etc. in the 1960s so we don't know if he ever had contact with RW following the war.
As for Keith Stringer - had there been a link to RW then the circle would have been complete. I'm sure my grandfather would have asked questions before employing him. Was there any connection e.g. nephew? That question may never be answered. Thanks again to all of you. I do appreciate your assistance. EB