Author Topic: Lusitania mystery - told Great Grandfather died on ship, but he's not on records  (Read 12250 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lusitania mystery - told Great Grandfather died on ship, but he's not on records
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 July 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
A little snippet about Fred senior, from 1882.

At Southwark, Frederick Kerslake, 30, second mate of the steamship Rainbow, lying off Horselydown, recently arrived from Hamburg, was charged with having in his possession 6lb of foreign manufactured tobacco and 4oz of cigars, with intent to defraud Her Majesty's Revenue.

The Prisoner said it was the first time he had purchased anything of the kind, but he assured his worship that he wanted it for his own use.  Mr Bridge ordered him to pay [£4 1s], treble value and duty, or one month's imprisonment.  The money was paid.

London Standard, 18 February 1882
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline TreesieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lusitania mystery - told Great Grandfather died on ship, but he's not on records
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 July 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
A little snippet about Fred senior, from 1882.

At Southwark, Frederick Kerslake, 30, second mate of the steamship Rainbow, lying off Horselydown, recently arrived from Hamburg, was charged with having in his possession 6lb of foreign manufactured tobacco and 4oz of cigars, with intent to defraud Her Majesty's Revenue.

The Prisoner said it was the first time he had purchased anything of the kind, but he assured his worship that he wanted it for his own use.  Mr Bridge ordered him to pay [£4 1s], treble value and duty, or one month's imprisonment.  The money was paid.

London Standard, 18 February 1882

Oh dear!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 July 15 15:04 BST (UK) »
Maybe sailor to tobacconist was not such a random career change after all :D
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline TreesieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 July 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
From what AVM posted
"Fred J Kerslake (i.e. Fred junior) was recorded as having been "in the trade" for 8 years when he joined the carpenters' and joiners' union in South Shields on 2 June 1902 aged 23 yrs 9 months.
So not much time for him to have done something else first."

He would have been 15 years and 9 months when he started his trade (Joiner) on the 1911 he is a joiner. So unless he went to sea as a joiner, when did he have the time to " become a sailor".
We have all been here  I am afraid  ???
"The info I have re Fred jnr being a sailor is from what my Nan said. She would have been old enough when he is said to have died to remember his occupation. "
I have many many family stories- and yes, from people who knew the subject- to know how muddled up they become with time, a snippet of fact is usually there, but lots of embelishing over the years. Work with the facts and not the stories.....
Frederick senior- master mariner
Frederick junior- joiner.

Ok, will do. However, looking at the 1901 census, Fred snr is in South Shields with his wife and children, but no Fred jnr. Can't find any trace of Fred jnr in the 1901 census otherwise, so maybe he could have worked as a carpenter on ships and been at sea then? I expect there are other reasons someone may not be on the census, but can't think what they would be at the mo.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 July 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
He's frustratingly elusive in 1901, isn't he?

Like you I cannot see him in the census.  I had a look for him in Ireland but no luck there.  Away at sea is definitely a possibility if he plied his carpentry trade on ships.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
As far as I can recall,  there were survivors from the Lusitania.

Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline TreesieA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
As far as I can recall,  there were survivors from the Lusitania.

Hi, he wasn't on the list of those who died or on the list of those who survived, but many thanks.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
uhm ..interesting one. 

I found a death by drowning of a man with that name, but down in Bristol /Devon 1934  then the darn page 'timed' out on me... so I may have some info wrong.

sorry it was on FindMyPast so if anyone has any more patience than me :)  I know it is not the gent you are actually searching - but it may be a descendant or close relative.

xin

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Western Times, 14 Sept 1934.....

Sexagenarian's body found in River Culm... an open verdict.

Death from drowning was the verdict returned on Frederick James Kerslake, 64, carter, baker, grocer, of Forestreet, Uffculme. He'd had severe heart trouble for 6 years. Son Sidney said his father had left home to get a haircut.

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....