Author Topic: Mid nineteenth century German immigrants coming in through Hull  (Read 1220 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mid nineteenth century German immigrants coming in through Hull
« on: Thursday 09 July 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
Is there any source I can consult to find out details, please ? The people I'm looking for would have arrived sometime between 1857 & 1860

Thanks

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mid nineteenth century German immigrants coming in through Hull
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I believe that the Anglo German family history has records of the Ev. Lutheran Church in Hull during the time span you are researching

http://www.agfhs.org/site/index.php/name-index/len-metzner-s-indexes

You need to become a member.

A cyber pal of mine requested information about a surname he was researching and was sent a list of several baptisms and burials of people who resided in Hull with that surname. 

He noticed that the list included a person with the surname I was researching and sent me a copy (whoopee).

Every baptism and burial listed parents and some grandparents and also the "sponsors" of the people who had donated the name of the baby.  Thus I discovered that my grandmother's name of Sophia had been donated by her (dead) grandmother Sophie Christine in Salzgitter, Germany.   That is how I discovered my German ancestor's roots.

Best wishes, Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks, Rena...that's great. I don't think they hung around in Hull for long (they were in London on the 1861 census), but  one of their children was born there, so, with any luck, there should be a baptism (didn't know about the church in Hull)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help. 

You'll notice on the link I gave that they include London churches and also other records.

Once I discovered the area my ancestor was from I looked on the familysearch.org website and saw there were some films containing church records and also films for "property and people count" (census). When ordered and then viewed them in the local FHS of Church of Latter Day Saints I have to confess my heart sank when I looked at the handwriting which is so different to the styles I'm used to, but I was able to recognise my surname of interest quite quickly.

Regars,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke