Author Topic: Jeanie Wilson and Jackie Wright  (Read 1623 times)

Offline jeannie23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeanie Wilson and Jackie Wright
« on: Thursday 09 July 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hello! I'm Holly Jeanie Margaret. I'd rather leave off my last names in case anyone from school finds this!  :P I'd like to look for information on my paternal grandparents - Jeanie Wright (nee Wilson) and Jackie (John) Wright. I have a lot more on Jackie than I do on Jeanie, but Jeanie's side interests me the most.

This is what I know so far:

Jeanie Wilson:
Irish Catholic - possibly from Donegal
Born some time in the 1900s-1910s
Immigrated to Partick, Glasgow (or her parents did?) in the early 20th century
Lived at 21 Sandy Road with her husband John (Jackie) Wright - tenements

John (Jackie) Wright
Scots-Irish Protestant Orangeman
Born 1907
Parents: John Joseph Hall and Sarah Jane Wright
Brothers: James William Hall (born at 14 Rosevale Street in 1922), Billy Wright(?)

If anyone could help me with this one, it'd be much appreciated! Thanks.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeanie Wilson and Jackie Wright
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, jeannie23,

Do you know when both of them died, and looked for death information from Scotlandspeople?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Did your grandparents get married in Scotland? if so, you'll need to look at their marriage certificate to see what details are there such as Jeanie's name, age, parents, etc.

If Jeanie Wilson was born before 1911 you can look for her in the census. 1911 Irish census is online free but 1911 Scottish census only on Scotland's People (pay per view).
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Searching the Irish one for 'Jeanie' Wilson shows 11 results- some too old but none from Donegal. Changing the search to 'Jane' Wilson for Donegal results only there are 38 results but of course she could be in Scotland by then.

Once you post more details we might be able to help with information or suggest where you can search next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jeannie23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, jeannie23,

Do you know when both of them died, and looked for death information from Scotlandspeople?

I know where Jeanie died - Gartnavel General Hospital - but not when. I'll get some Scotlandspeople credits as soon as my debit card is working again.

Offline jeannie23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
Did your grandparents get married in Scotland? if so, you'll need to look at their marriage certificate to see what details are there such as Jeanie's name, age, parents, etc.

If Jeanie Wilson was born before 1911 you can look for her in the census. 1911 Irish census is online free but 1911 Scottish census only on Scotland's People (pay per view).
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Searching the Irish one for 'Jeanie' Wilson shows 11 results- some too old but none from Donegal. Changing the search to 'Jane' Wilson for Donegal results only there are 38 results but of course she could be in Scotland by then.

Once you post more details we might be able to help with information or suggest where you can search next.

I might be wrong with Donegal. Her family might have been from Donegal, but she may have been born elsewhere. I've been going through the Janes, Jeannies, and Jeanies and have found a possible match. I have a problem, though - a lot of the names that run in my family seem, er, to have been very popular in late 19th-early 20th century Ireland! So I can't be sure just by judging the names that my family members might have had.  ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, difficult when there is such a small amount of first names being used by almost every family. Once you get the names of Jeanie's parents it should be lots easier to track down more information.

Added- could even be that her middle name was Jeanie or Jeannie. Father-in-law's cousin Jeannie as actually Sarah Janetta.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jeannie23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, difficult when there is such a small amount of first names being used by almost every family. Once you get the names of Jeanie's parents it should be lots easier to track down more information.

Added- could even be that her middle name was Jeanie or Jeannie. Father-in-law's cousin Jeannie as actually Sarah Janetta.

I'm certain that my grandmother was born Jeanie. My father recently had to look up one of her certificates (can't remember which) for a DWP thing, and it said Jeanie.