Author Topic: Last Chance Catherine, you elusive wench....  (Read 3379 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Last Chance Catherine, you elusive wench....
« on: Saturday 11 July 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=607328.msg4567840#msg4567840

This is the link to my elusive Catherine Collins Judson, with all the information.
I would love to know what happened to her, just to round out the story of Moses -her down trodden husband-my 2x great grandfather. Happily Catharine is not connected to me by blood, which I am very grateful for.
I know I am asking a lot, but if nothing comes of it I will finally close the door on her.
Me thinks she may have just died drunk in a ditch  ::)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Last Chance Catherine, you elusive wench....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Very, very, very long shot, did she go to Canada

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK31-SP51

Note: I've not got good access to records and have a history of picking duds when I try to help :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
There are several reports of the notorious Catherine Judson (Irish vagrant, tramp, prostitute, drunk and disorderly) in Lincolnshire papers through the 1860's - possibly the same person? The latest report I can find is from 1867 in Stamford.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.
Shaun, there are reports of her in the Nottinghamshire Guardian, but only up to about 1862. She was certainly a drunk occasionally a prostitute, and often slept outdoors at one time with her baby.
June 23 1859 Nottinghamshire Guardian
Aggravated assault-A forlorn looking creature  Catharine Judson of Cross Guns Yard, married woman was bought up having being charged with assaulting Miss Jane Cook on the 14th June in the Reindeer Public House Baldertongate.The woman had a child in her arms during the whole encounter.The magistrates commited her to prison for 21 days hard labour.

Thurs July 26 1860 A Husband beater-The notorious Catharine Judson of the Bay was bought up charged with having violently assaulted Ann Bentley on the 17th inst.Complainant was sitting at Mrs Subys door and while there was told the defendant had got her invalid husband on the floor and was thrashing him, being the mother of the unfortunate man, complainant went and stood at a little distance to see what was the matter.When the defendant came out and after aiming a savage blow at a child who was also looking on, seized the complainant by the hair of the head pulled her to the ground and throttled her, that serious consequences might have failed had not the neighbours come to her assistance.Defendant was drunk at the time. She is a woman of the most despicable character debased to such a degree that her husband will not live with her, and she had for several nights been lying out of doors with her infant child. only a few months old. She received an order for the workhouse on Saturday but did not go as it happened to be a wet day. Fined 11s including costs or in default 21 days prison.

When she married Moses Judson in Newark in 1856 she has father as John Collins basket maker.
I will check out the Lincolnshire papers.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
There are also a few reports of a vagrant by the name of Catherine Collins with similar descriptions.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
Many thank's, she also used the name Elizabeth Judson at one time.

At least I know she was still alive in 1867, which is something to work on. I wonder where she went after promising to leave Stamford??

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
Here I am again, five years on and another look at this brick wall I have been beating my head against for years!

I have discovered that Moses and Catherine had another son called Frederick  Judson who died 19 Dec 1859 in Cross guns yard. the little fellow was 2 years old and died of convulsions, his grandmother registered his death.

His brother John died 3 Dec 1862 again aged two years, of a four day old fever ( not surprising if the little chap had been sleeping out of doors in December..

But this still does not help with the very elusive Catherine Collins/Judson. The last sighting of her being 8 Feb 1867 in Stamford, Lincs.(Lincolnshire Chronicle)when she promised to "leave the town forthwith".

Any fresh eyes please willing to take a look?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
What about the Catherine Judson bc.1841 death Sept.1867 Derby?   Cannot find another Catherine Judson pre 1867 that would fit this death so did 'your' Catherine just move to adjoining county of Derbyshire and die just a few months after being banished from Stamford?

Can find entry of death on all the usual sites BUT is not showing on GRO's own index for some reason.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
I can see it?

JUDSON, CATHERINE        26 
GRO Reference: 1867  S Quarter in DERBY  Volume 07B  Page 235

Debra  :)